Second Skin Audio

Need opinions on a single ZV5 12 enclosure design!

Jay Dreier

Just hoping to get some feedback from you guys.  Its been at least 10 years since I have built my last enclosure.  I have been doing a lot of research lately and  I think I'm close to where I want to be with this design.  Measurements are as follows --   Outside measurements 31"W X 19" X 16.25"T  -  Net Vol 2.56, Port Size 3.125 X 13.25 x 32" long, tuned to 32hz. Going to have a 1500 watt RMS Zapco running it until I can upgrade.  It going into a Saturn Vue.   Any help or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  

C22apture.PNG

Ca55pture.PNG

Overall, you design looks pretty good, here are a couple of my thoughts on things you may want to change. 

1. Your port area is on the very edge of what's acceptable on 1500 watts, if you are going to run more power in the future you will want more port area.  

2. Where you have the kerfed port (as indicated by "A") I would add a 45 panel covering the inside of the kerf.  Kerfed panels are weaker than a regular panel. 

3. The inside corner of the port (indicated by "B") should be rounded over as much as practical.  

4.  Making the interior port panels double thickness as you have shown probably isn't gaining you anything as long as they are properly braced.  

C22apture.PNG.346fcda27647809b9070ab4cf5d1fe29.PNG.7319ff41675c46b365a6d1370ea1b6b4.PNG

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

10 hours ago, Jay Dreier said:

Measurements are as follows --   Outside measurements 31"W X 19" X 16.25"T  -  Net Vol 2.56, Port Size 3.125 X 13.25 x 32" long, tuned to 32hz. Going to have a 1500 watt RMS Zapco running it until I can upgrade.  It going into a Saturn Vue. 

I have box specs  from your dimensions of 2.5 net @ 33.6 Hz 41.4 square inches of port area, 1" wood, port area came out good with my software:

Zv5 12", 2.5 net @ 32Hz, 41.4 square inches of port area, 2000W RMS :

VV.jpg

My main recommendation is to go for a 15" instead of a 12" since your vehicle is rather large, it will be more efficient and louder on the same power.

Unfortunately I already have the ZV5 12" or a 15" would have been nice.  So I added the 45 on the kerfed wall and in the port.  I also made the interior port a single wall as suggested.  And thank you for bringing up the port area because I do intend to upgrade my amp soon and I didn't even think about it.  The new measurements are as follows - 35"W x 19.75"D x 16.75"T - Net Vol 2.58, Port Size - 13.75"T x 3.75"W x  40.75"Long, tuned to 33.3 hz.  If you got the time to take another look at the changes I made that would be great.  I'm  hoping to get started and the build on Thursday!  

Capture.PNG

Capt1ure.PNG

4 hours ago, Jay Dreier said:

The new measurements are as follows - 35"W x 19.75"D x 16.75"T - Net Vol 2.58, Port Size - 13.75"T x 3.75"W x  40.75"Long, tuned to 33.3 hz.  If you got the time to take another look at the changes I made that would be great.  I'm  hoping to get started and the build on Thursday!  

35"W x 19.75"D x 16.75"T  port: 13.75"T x 3.75"W x  40.75 "

This time I get like 2.9 net @ 32.1 Hz with 51.6 square inches of port area, 1" wood.

A little on the big side and kind of record breaking port area for a single 12"

Thanks for responding so quickly!  I'm supposed to start the build tomorrow. LOL ........So the wood that I'll be using is 3/4" birch.  Meaning that in the drawing where it's double walled is actually 1.5" not 1".  Taking that into consideration I come up with 2.58 net @ 33.29 hz with 51.6 sqin of port area.  I brought my port area up some from  the 1st design to accommodate upgrading from 1500 watt amp to a 2000 watt amp in the near future.  Does that change your thoughts on this design? If so what are they?  Thank You!

So your box will work well as it stands, is just that I have a little time to answer the question, if using 3/4" birch then your port area is 54.4 square inches, did the following to figure your box specs (some minor assumptions were made) :

bx.jpg

From the chamber base area shown in light blue you can figure gross volume, subtracting the sub and cross brace displacements  you arrive to 2.8 net @ 33.2 Hz, 54.4 square inches of port area.

On the port area, no much more than what Sundown suggests is needed if you keep to rated power of 2K, about the 21 m/s of peak airspeed @ 2000 W for the 41.4 sqin you gave last time, only if you were to run 3000 W you would need that much port area, and you would still be at about 23 m/s with the 54.4 square inches, so how extra port area affects you? Mainly a heavier and bigger box, only if you port were too long you would have to deal with port resonances (yours is not) .

Archived