Second Skin Audio

Which box to make (WiniSD Graphs)

Yeah and I do realize that what the graph says is far from what my in car response will be typically to "the good" as I might consider it or basically the graph reads conservatively.

But I've never gotten that kind of dB output on a winisd graph without making my box tuned to something crazy.

8 hours ago, Joe X said:

WinISD is not designed to plot frequency response in- car but in an outdoors environment.

Ohh... I had 31hz 3.5cuft box and it was slaming lows but there was no highs, then I cut the port and made it 35hz 4.0cuft and now it's too "peaky" for me and I lost some of good low range but subwoofer started to move less but giving more output.. So I was thinking why not to make box bigger and tune it higher  so I still get some high frequency and dont lose lows.. What do you think is 4.5cuft net enough with 34-35hz tuning? 

Here is a couple of plots, starting with your current boxes projected (average sized) in-car response:

red: 3.5 @ 31 Hz

yellow: 4 @ 35 Hz

More or less represents what you are describing:

cmp.jpg

red: 3.5 @ 31 Hz

green: 4.5 @ 32 Hz

green is what I would think will work.

vs2.jpg

As you can see the green curve touches the red line in lows but has more output at higher frequency. so 4.3-4.5 net @ 32-33Hz would be worth testing.

19 minutes ago, Joe X said:

Here is a couple of plots, starting with your current boxes projected (average sized) in-car response:

red: 3.5 @ 31 Hz

yellow: 4 @ Hz

More or less represents what you are describing:

cmp.jpg

green: 4.5 @ 32 Hz

green is what I would think will work.

vs2.jpg

As you can see the green curve touches the red line in lows but has more output at higher frequency. so 4.3-4.5 net @ 32-33Hz would be worth testing.

Which program do you using? My car resonance frequency is 56hz if that helps.. and what about 34hz tuning with 4.5 net?

Checked your dimensions and more or less meet 4.6 @ 33 Hz if you consider driver displacement.

orange : 4.6 @ 33 Hz

cmp.jpg

It looks like peaky to me, if it  looks ok to you may give it a try, I would add a layer to the baffle as well.

1 hour ago, Joe X said:

Checked your dimensions and more or less meet 4.6 @ 33 Hz if you consider driver displacement.

orange : 4.6 @ 33 Hz

cmp.jpg

It looks like peaky to me, if it  looks ok to you may give it a try, I would add a layer to the baffle as well.

I think it will be okay, it's right inbetween 31hz and 35hz.. on 31hz tune I definitly missed some higher notes.
And mostly all music I listen to doesn't touch anything below 30hz.. 

Archived