Second Skin Audio

hey, new to the site. just looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for a sub i can use with my amp and box. my box is a trunk mounted forward facing 12 inch sealed box with .94 cubic feet and a depth of 7 or 7.5 inches. i forgot exactly, i built it 8 years ago. my amp is a 2004 rockford fosgate 1500bd. the amp is rated 750 watts rms @4 ohms @ 14.4 volts or 1500 watts rms @2 ohms @ 14.4 volts. im considering keeping it at 4 ohms because of my electrical system and my other amp and accessories. im running a stock 80 amp alternator with 2 optima yellow tops and 0 gauge jl audio power cables. im also running a 2002 us acoustic amp to my polk audio mobile monitor 6.5 components for my front sound stage. the head unit is a Pioneer DEH-80PRS. i prefer SQ but would like a louder deeper bass. i have previously had the last generation 2016 alpine type r (1000w rms) but it only lasted a year and a half but did sound good for a while. also had a 2002 earthquake dbx12d (400w rms) wired @8 ohms. im looking for something that will produce better lows then the type r while still keeping the box in the forward position. im considering the SA12 D2 or the dc audio level 3 but im also tempted to get the level 4 or fi ssd neo 12. also considered the image dynamics id12 but i hear their somewhat delicate compared to my other choices. if anyone has any suggestions or any experience with the subs i listed in a sealed box please let me know. thanks.

A tight ported box may give you the extra low end and extra output you want and keep closer to sealed sound, driver selection is really important also.

If you won't do ported a high QTS fi or an IDQ 12 would be options along with some polyfill on the box, even using a larger sealed box can improve low end but sealed won't match ported efficiency, if your can fit a 15" sub in a large sealed box you can get louder on the same power and still stay on sealed.

Lastly sub location and aiming can be an issue, when you fire forward on a trunk car you do a seal off which also makes you gain loudness and low end without any extra power.

Archived