Sonic Electronix

looking for equipment suggestions from experience people.

howdy folks, pleasure to join the forum as out of most car audio sites i generally like the discussions i see here best. sorry if I'm supposed to introduce myself fist, couldn't find a topic relating to that. so in a nut shell i plan on going active in the car so i'll start by listing my current equipment

1) 2017 ford fusion se
2)stock head unit(non sony) with an audio control DQ-61line out converter. as of right now only hooked up for subs
3) 2 12 inch dc audio level 2 subs wired in parallel for 1 ohm in sealed enclosures powered by a hifonics hifi 1000W amp
4) morel maximo components in all 4 doors using factory crossovers (which are either imaginary or just not crossed at the right point for my tweeters)
5) dd audio band passable 4 channel c4.60 (60 watts per channel at 4 ohms, 90 watts at 2 ohm) which is not currently hooked up

so what i could use some advice on first is if anyone knows some companies that make 2 ohm mid range woofers that i can buy with out tweeters and crossovers so i can get all 90 watts out of my amplifier, and secondly if i can get 4 ohm speakers that are sensitive enough to to get as loud on 60 watts as a 2 ohm pair would get on 90. other then that just if this is what you had to work with what would you do with it to get the most sound with out breaking your bank because since its a new car im going to have my local dd audio dealer run the wires for me.

Id say keep what you have and either add the crossovers in or run all active with all mids on front channel and tweets on rear channel. 

Pros of using the crossovers. Each set will be crossed properly and each set will get 60 watts each so more power to them.

cons. You cant change the crossovers to your taste.

pros of going active. You can set all the crossovers to taste and get way better fine tuning. And will get you your 2ohm per channel load.

cons. More wire to run, cant time align, easy to blow tweets if you dont know what your doing. And less power per speaker. At only 45watt per speaker. At 2ohm per channel the amp will get warm if not well ventilated and will probably need a fan to keep it cool.

hopefully this helps you. Personally id rewire it and use the morel crossovers. Less headache and more loudness, and amp shouldnt overheat

after a few hours of googling i was left only with a few product options including infinity/jbl, and some re XXX which are huge. so you think the sound quality will be pretty close with the passive cross overs vs going active? i just figured if i need to run new wire might as well go all the way while the doors are open.

put the passive crossovers in. you can easily test if it's actively crossed from the OEM by using a DMM set to continuity. chances are that it's not actively crossed and you're just sending full range to your tweeters. why are you trying to get 2 ohm mids when the Morel mids are 4 ohm? getting a 2 ohm mid range will change passive crossover point.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

• 3 months later...

I tried the crossovers on the oem wiring to the woofer, no sound came out of the tweeter.even though the wiring diagram clearly shows a full rang signal going to the woofers then to the tweeter. Wanted 2 ohm woofers to get the full 90watts out of my amplifier I bought to keep up with the 500 watts each sub is getting

Archived