Sundown Audio

HELP! - Killing Amps with Vibrations...from 8 18's

zack_e89

So...I've been having the issue of killing my amps with vibrations from my 8 18's. Yeah I know, who would've thought there would be a lot of movement with that? But I see plenty of big builds out there with their amps just screwed into a board and they are fine... They had rubber grommets under the mounting feet to try to help with vibrations. The amp rack is pretty rigid, but being in the back of a vehicle with 8 18's is just destroying my amps with vibrations , which was verified by the amp repair guy. Several high power guys I've talked to have said they just bolt their amp racks into the frame, or just use long bolts that go into the frame.... well...rigidness isn't working for me. Some other have told me to get some piece of rubber/foam under the amps but that would have me concerned with heat. Another person suggested springs under each amp or each amp rack board. All these crazy ideas but I'm not sure what to do next.

Sub amps are running on 18v. I've considered moving to smaller boards, which was also suggested to me,  to maybe help with 'stability', but the way my subs are wired I'd be wiring "super low" with 4 amps, and 18v limits my amp choices.

Any suggestions guys?  @SnowDrifter 

Amp deaths:

2 DC 7.5k's - one of them twice (best amps I've ever owned! They handled the beating the longest)

2 TS 8.3k's....twice since I've had them (they've always had problems even before music was played)

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post pic of where theyre mounted in the vehicle.  The location you are mounting to must be flexing.  If the board you mounted to has NO movement, then your amp wouldnt see vibrations.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

6 4ks ,.. 2 are mounted to the back baffle. But, it's over a foot thick, ... so far,  so good. The other 4 are on top of the batteries.  Some will say the lil rubber washers do the trick. I personally don't think they do much, if anything to dampen. If your only option is on the enclosure, try and space them further away. It can be a lil tricky with room/locations, I feel ya... best o luck mate..

I'm here ?

Post pics of mounting

Also describe for me the failures you're having

Here's a pic of the 8 psi custom pf3 18s before they were wired up. I think I have a video of it playing somewhere. 

I'll have to get a pic of the rear later, I don't have any lol. There's not a whole lot of room back there, but after reading your responses, maybe I can try to remove a couple pieces that are holding the amp rack up, and support it more from the bottom somehow. With the limited space I'm not sure how to redesign it, but I'll get a pic up soon!

I really appreciate the help from you guys, and great to see you still around here Snow and Kyle! 

image.jpeg

97 Suburban

Mounting amps on the box at any time is a mistake, the vibrations even through a foot thick with that much power is defiantly gonna cause some issues, have you tried putting some dynomat down below the amps to absorb the vibrations?

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

43 minutes ago, AlpineNut said:

Mounting amps on the box at any time is a mistake, the vibrations even through a foot thick with that much power is defiantly gonna cause some issues, have you tried putting some dynomat down below the amps to absorb the vibrations?

Below the amps themselves or do you mean below the amp rack boards? There is deadener on the floor, etc. and I do have some sitting around. 

97 Suburban

4 hours ago, AlpineNut said:

Going on 4 years, not a single lost board. Our rear baffle is more solid that any other part of the entire rig.

There are times, the enclosure is the only option. A layer of dampener wont do anything imho. Nothing. Just like the rubber feet/washers. Wont do shit imho. 

Archived