Sonic Electronix

burning smell from back tweeters

So this will most likely be difficult to answer but figured I'd give it a go.

I installed a JL 1000/1 & JL 13.5" W7 in my BMW M4. I utilized the ASD (Active sound device) bypass system and line out converter via wiring harness/kit provided by technicpnp.com  but now there is a burning smell from the two back tweeters in my car. It's a BMW M4 with option 688 Harmon Kardon sound system. 

Also, these back tweeters make a slightly "airy / hissing" sound when the car is turned off whereas none of the other speakers smell or make any sounds.

Any idea what could be causing this? I don't want to drive the car until I figure it out as obviously something is being damaged.

These are the pieces incase unfamiliar with them. I'm not saying the pieces are causing it I'm just having a hard time thinking of what it could be. Thank you all for your time.

https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/

https://technicpnp.com/product/logic7hkepsindividual-audiobang-olufsenbowers-wilkins-add-a-sub-harness-wlocx/

Update: discovered that the "airy/hissing sound" comes from opening the car door (I guess the car's computer is preparing the speakers to make the sounds the car will typically make upon start (jingles and what not). 

I sat inside the car and locked the doors as if I was done driving, the air/hissing sound turned off over the next minute.

Update: None of the 4 rear cabin speakers produce any audio (I believe it was like this all along I just didn't recognize it). Even if the fader is moved all the way to the rear, then only the rear deck speakers play.

Which is super interesting, considering they will power on for the car's "jingles"? They must be receiving signal from the OEM amp.

Archived