Noob Buffed too hard, how to repaint?

Hey All!

This is my first time painting, so any help would be awesome!

I recently painted my plastic dash panel, and center console with a Dodge, Amber Fire Pearl paint. I sanded the plastic, shot the paint and clear well enough, I was happy with the results. However, during the buffing process, I buffed some edges too hard (by hand), and it removed the clear and base, down to the primer.

Now, my question is, how much do I need to strip down to repaint the pieces? Do I take everything off, down to the plastic and start the process all over again? Do I only need to sand off the clear? I'm not really sure what the next steps should be.

For context, I used the following:

- Earlex Spraystation HVLP system
- Primer - Acrylic Lacquer Primer from AutomotiveTouchup.com
- Base - Pre-reduced, ready to spray Urethane Base Coat from AutomotiveTouchup.com
- Clear -  Ready To Spray Acrylic Lacquer Clearcoat from AutomotiveTouchup.com 

Center_Blemishes_zps0y0lxtnt.jpg

dont really need to sand the clear off, just some light sanding in a relatively small area around the burn through.  dont sand too hard, just enough to scuff the surface.  use a high grit paper, like 800 or so.  a couple quick small circles should do to make the surface dull after wiping.  then lightly spray the new paint with a couple quick passes to cover the burn.  then a coat or two of clear and some MILD wet sanding, then a light hand buff (as you've now learned).  luckily it's on a spot that will be mostly hidden from view so no need to completely redo the panel.  just pay attention when youre wet sanding that any definition (ie a ridge) between the new paint and clear disappears.  so some light wet sanding around the burn to blend the new paint level to the clear while not taking down the new paint.  

hope that makes sense

PS fantastic job otherwise and that color looks awesome, it's one of my favorites too and probably the only other chrysler color i can think of fondly beyond the viper's GTS blue

Definitely mask off if you're planning on not getting overspray. I don't think you're going to get good results with a touch up. That looks like a tricky color to blend. Also, you need to be able to soft tape a line if you're planning on touch up. You're better off trying to redo a larger section of that console rather than the small area. This won't be fun if you don't know what you're doing(have experience doing so). 

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

also just realized you did the spray with an HVLP sprayer, not the rattle can showing the color choice.  it'd be easier to do a thin, small touch up with the rattle can.  not so easy with the sprayer.  still can be done, just not as easy.

when it boils down to it, if you feel like you could give the entire panel a quick scuff with some 800 grit, wipe it, then respray it completely in a more effective/quicker way, I'd say just do that.  don't push yourself to perfect the minutiae if you're not confident in the results :)

Thanks both for your input. I did buy some paint pens in the same color just in case I did screw up, but I'm thinking of just spraying the whole thing. When I scuff with the 800 grit, am I just looking to take off the gloss, or am i sanding away the clear completely?

2 hours ago, aburger said:

Thanks both for your input. I did buy some paint pens in the same color just in case I did screw up, but I'm thinking of just spraying the whole thing. When I scuff with the 800 grit, am I just looking to take off the gloss, or am i sanding away the clear completely?

taking the gloss.  that'll give the paint a surface to adhere to.  I'd be wary of the paint pens as they tend to look exactly as if someone took a sharpie and colored it in.  the trick with a paint pen is get the tip loaded with paint and then, with the steadiest hand, just barely get close enough to the surface to let the paint run from the tip to the part.  that way it will fill naturally as opposed to cramming the pen tip down and rubbing it in.  you may have to do it multiple times, and consider the angle that the part is resting at and how that will affect the flow/drip of the paint.   also, since the burn through isnt really a depression or hole, the paint may not fill so much as rest on top of.  in that case, a spray is going to cover better and cleaner compared to a drip of paint.  paint pens work best for stone chips of flakes, where there's a hard line of paint removed.

just my 2¢

Damn awesome man, thanks so much for all the info. I'll give it a shot in the next couple weeks and see if I can get these fixed and put back in the truck. I'm getting tired of driving around without a center console.

Thanks again all!

8 minutes ago, aburger said:

Damn awesome man, thanks so much for all the info. I'll give it a shot in the next couple weeks and see if I can get these fixed and put back in the truck. I'm getting tired of driving around without a center console.

Thanks again all!

my pleasure man, that's what we're here for :)  good luck and happy spraying!

Archived