Second Skin Audio

In need of help on subwoofers

DeepANDloud1211

Hey guys!

new comer here, and always reading forums on here! Glad to join and be apart of the community. With that being said I have 2 12” JL audio W7’s ran off of my Skar Audio SKv2 3500.1D would it make a difference to change over to JL’s HD? My buddy has one for sale for pretty cheap. I picked these subs up new-used, never powered on or put in. I purchased these subs for $500, which I thought was a hell of a deal and could sell them for more in the future! They get pretty loud, but not as loud as people make them out to be... they are in a 5.0 cubic feet box with aeroports tuned to 32 HZ. I have them in a Hyundai Sonata have 4GA wire and 8GA speaker wire. As for as SPL goes I have a pair of Massive Audio SUMMO’s XL124’s and they pound with my setup, but love the SQ with the JL’s. Any input or help is much appreciated. 

thanks,

DAL!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure,, pick it up and try it out. If you don't like it you could always put the Skar back in. JL amp is going to be a more SQ amp than the Skar IMO. 

I got the JL w7’s Figured out and it’s 100x times better...I’m so stupid, I had the subsonic filter down to low for the tuning frequency. I had it at 25-28 instead of 31-32 range. It fixed it up all the distortion and crappy notes. Its about as loud as the massives expect without the air level and the flexing of my mirrors and windows lol. So it’s a trade off. But they sounds damn good now! Subsonic filter: 31.5 give or take. And LPF: 85= sounds quality god, with ok-good SPL level. I love it thanks for the input/ help!

Never heard of some one turning their high pass UP for better output. I mean, if your playing songs in that range anyway, the high pass isnt doing anything for out put. Or, if your trying to play to low, then the high pass is just cutting information/crapy notes (that are my favorite by the)  out. 

Odd.. but, if your happy...

I had subsonic filter set to low beyond port tuning which is 32hz. Had it in the 20-26 range and the W7’s didn’t like that at all. My massives loved when set about 25-28hz. But the JL’s don’t sound like it’s just pushing air when set that low, but at proper tunning, sounds great! Still deep bass! FYI my subsonic filter is 20hz-50hz and subsonic filter is 35-250hz. 

7 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Never heard of some one turning their high pass UP for better output. I mean, if your playing songs in that range anyway, the high pass isnt doing anything for out put. Or, if your trying to play to low, then the high pass is just cutting information/crapy notes (that are my favorite by the)  out. 

Odd.. but, if your happy...

Going from SPL to SQ subs, it was kinda needed ...w7’s Sounded like straight shit with it turned down lower. Just not trying to blow them, with an amp that pushes that amount power. It’s bound to happen. Either I keep these in or slap in the others, but the massive subs are a pain to wire down to 1ohm since they are wired to the tinsel’s. Which I think is a dumb idea on Massives part.

THE issue I believe is the box is way to big for those subs. they should be in nothing bigger than 4 cu.ft. at most. with a FS of 27 those things will get low. How big are the aero ports?

I've seen 2 W7's crack the windshield on a charger so they will have some output if set up right.

Also the W7's are not considered their SQ subs that would be the W6's. 

Archived