Second Skin Audio

In need of help on subwoofers

DeepANDloud1211

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DeepANDloud1211 said:

The aero ports are: 2 4” aero ports at 10-11” tuned to 32hz, while the box is 5 cubes. Everyone I talk or have talked to has said they love big boxes, just like the HO box they use em in. They are big boxes...and was hoping they would be alright in the one I got, but I guess not

So you have two w7 12s on a 5 net box, two 4" aeros? that is severely low port area, say you are giving 1200W per sub, that would lead to ports peak airspeed of nearly 50 m/s you should be within 30 m/s at most, would need something like a 6" aero per sub. A proper port area will result in drivers moving very little around tuning and vastly increased output in that frequency range.

There is very little excursion/ driver movement but extremely loud and good sq. Let me re state aero port...aeroports are 4 inches wide and 12 inches long. And there is 2 of them, custom made box specifically tuned to 32HZ. Me and couple buddies from local stereo shop (they are JL authorized dealer) took the setup into them later on yesterday and they did who bunch of stuff with meters and and testing for HU voltage. They made it perfect now...no complaints anymore! They hit hard now, you can feel it in your chest. But not compared to my other monster I have sitting in a box in the closet. Still deciding yet if I wanna get rid of the w7’s and make a good chunk of change or sell both set ups and go for an FI-Q BTL, or Massive audio Gordo’s. Those Gordo’s seem pretty appealing with the sensitivity and not to bad motor efficiency. The Hippos I have are tuned to 28hz and it’s a sleeper! 

Your box is simply not custom made, here's the one in the JL manual, it's port is 14 x 1.75 = 24.5 square inches of port area, for two subs you would require 49 square inches of port area. Your box is about 12.5 square inches of port area per sub and it's larger and likely you are going above rated power with that amp.

JL.jpg

Well actually at 1.5 ohms, we will just say 2 ohms..round it up. And slap a few more watts on top of 1.5 ohms in conversion. But at 2 ohms, the amp is pushing 2,050 watts. I have compensated for the lower rms handling. They sound damn good now, just not as loud as what I’m use to. But it’s different, more so can feel it in your chest I’m the deeper HZ and my other setup not so much, but rather it flexes my mirrors and windows. 

Your seriously low on port area. That's your main problem. Up your port area and you'll get more output as well. And you'll have a better box for later when you try to upgrade subs.

Also any w7 I have ever used has always sounded better in a larger than jl recommended box. Your 5 cubes is probably about right. But once you increase your port area, and then increase your port length to stay with your 32hz tune, you will likely be closer to 4.5 if not 4 cubes. I would try increasing your 2- 4" ports to 2-6" or 4-4" ports.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

Hey guys! How’s everyone been?! Just an update...I have sold both of the JL W7’s for a good profit! Any who, I bought some brand new Orion HCCA’s 124’s for a steal. And I’m determining as far as tuning goes going for 36-42hz. (42hz) is recommendation for tunning, but would like to possibly go deeper to 37hz. My goal is to get them really deep and loud. This isn’t for burping, just everyday listening but if I need to do so I can rape some 13JLw7’s. As far as box goes I’m looking at 3.5 cubic feet, should I go a little bigger or stay at the size and then to 37hz? Thanks in advance, can’t really find any other info to help me out! 

Archived