Second Skin Audio

In need of help on subwoofers

DeepANDloud1211

Na, ya know I have JL a chance. Me personally it isn’t my taste of bass. Overpriced pieces of s***! Literally over-rated, under powered, $1,200 bucks for a sub that will get half as loud as the Orion. Plus you can get a good tier amp to run that Orion. A sub that’s suppose to be “SPL” rated at 1k max, is asking for trouble. And for some people they don’t get loud enough for their taste, like window flexing, damn...just broke my windshield again type of bass heads like me. W7 doesn’t fulfill it. Explain to me, why would you of kept the w7’s Over the mighty and well loved Orion’s?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said it was daily the w7s are better sounding subs then the Orion’s unless something drastic was changed to the Orion’s. Lol and w7 not loud enough “ shattering, windshield moving bass “ someone did something wrong then...  I heard a pair of 13w7 and yeah like I said I don’t like JL for personal reasons but hearing those w7s was impressive to say the least and there was a good amount of windshield moving... and the Orion’s are recommended to mount them fireing up unless it changed because they had a tendency to have cone sag if that’s what it was can’t remember but it was in their manual for them. But haven’t looked into them in awhile. Either way I’m biased and wouldn’t of bought either of them... wait did you say mighty and loved Orion uhhhhh ok never new that about them always heard hate about them until recently and it’s the amps not subs my experience not many people liked there subs

Yea I have never heard a HCCA setup I liked for everyday music. Burping sure. But not for music. Your box for the w7s was all wrong. Either way good luck with your new setup. Please give it proper port area this time

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

18 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

You said it was daily the w7s are better sounding subs then the Orion’s unless something drastic was changed to the Orion’s. Lol and w7 not loud enough “ shattering, windshield moving bass “ someone did something wrong then...  I heard a pair of 13w7 and yeah like I said I don’t like JL for personal reasons but hearing those w7s was impressive to say the least and there was a good amount of windshield moving... and the Orion’s are recommended to mount them fireing up unless it changed because they had a tendency to have cone sag if that’s what it was can’t remember but it was in their manual for them. But haven’t looked into them in awhile. Either way I’m biased and wouldn’t of bought either of them... wait did you say mighty and loved Orion uhhhhh ok never new that about them always heard hate about them until recently and it’s the amps not subs my experience not many people liked there subs

Wait what...? I have yet to see anything bad about them? JL w7’s Did have more SQ, yes than my Massive Audio Hippo’s XL124’s but SPL wise...hell no! Well, i guess it’s more so opinion and preference. But the couple Orion setups I heard from the DD and Orion dealer installed, I loved them! The DD 9512 sounded good also! I have a perfect box for the orion’s That I built. My uncle down at audio image previewed different boxes and tunning frequency’s, showing what would be best for my car and bass based on music type. I found them to be most appealing tuned to 34hz at 1.5 cubes after displacement. I have been pondering between same chamber box or separate, having dealt with both of em. Just personally don’t like JL audio, the price is stupid high for the product. By the time you get 2 subs, 2 amps to power them and a box...your looking at $2-3K. Which could be used to upgrade electrical, and still get a setup louder or better SQ for cheaper. Just my opinion of them.

I would not go over 36 for daily. the higher you go the peakier it will get. You are still going to have to figure out port area and build correctly or you will still be in the same boat you were in.

i think you took 5 steps back going to the Orions.

21 hours ago, DeepANDloud1211 said:

Also cstroker it is recommended to fire forward (towards trunk) as Orion has stated In the manual, unless it is for SPL competition then it will be faced up. 

Like I said I haven’t looked at them in awhile like 4 years plus and they were recommended upfiring because something dealing with the cone not for the application ..and what you said what it said in the manual about spl that’s not always the case it’s a general statement by Orion not what I was talking about....  and why did you bring the massive into it.. when we was talking about the Orion’s still think you went the wrong direction between the JL and Orion’s... but I wouldn’t of bought either so whatever.. if it’s what you like then it’s what you like.. and I noticed you said DD would of chose them over the Orion’s also if those 2 where your only choices.....  

Archived