Second Skin Audio

RF T2 and JBL GT5-2402BR

AlexanderLeet

Hi guys. I replaced my JBL subwoofer with a T212D4.

I had this JBL GT5-2402BR hooked up to a JBL GTO-501EZ amp, was hitting really hard on this G-Eazy - Lotta That song.

Now I got this RF T212D4 hooked up to MTX XThunder X1000D amp, same HU, bass is really weak, not feeling it on same song...really disappointed.

Supposed to hit harder since it is 1000w RMS instead of 550w RMS that JBL is...

Everything is set right on that MTX amp...it is wired at 2 ohms. 

Edit: on other songs hits hard af, for example: Chase & Status - Novelist

A higher RMS sub on needs more power. Plus it's brand new and will need time to loosen up the soft parts.

That JBL was probably a better match for your amp. Did you just do a speaker swap in the same enclosure? If so thats an issue too.

I suspect something is wrong with the install. Either gains not set correctly, Crossovers not set right, poor enclosure positioning, poor box specs, etc. the T2 should be killing it compared to the JBL's. 

Having said that to get 3 db increase in output which is barely noticeable you have to do one of 3 things 1) double cone area 2) double power 3) double excursion. So you halved the one area but double the power ( theoretically); I cant find the specs for the T2 so not sure wha tthe excursion is but would be really surprised if it was not at least double what the JBL 's were. At the very least you should be just as loud as you were. At best you will pick up a few db's.

That JBL 2 12 box is probably tuned really high as well. High 30s if not low 40s. That Geazy song is a higher bass note as well so that would explain part of that

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

On 11/20/2018 at 12:10 AM, ckeeler11 said:

I suspect something is wrong with the install. Either gains not set correctly, Crossovers not set right, poor enclosure positioning, poor box specs, etc. the T2 should be killing it compared to the JBL's. 

Having said that to get 3 db increase in output which is barely noticeable you have to do one of 3 things 1) double cone area 2) double power 3) double excursion. So you halved the one area but double the power ( theoretically); I cant find the specs for the T2 so not sure wha tthe excursion is but would be really surprised if it was not at least double what the JBL 's were. At the very least you should be just as loud as you were. At best you will pick up a few db's.

This is the box: https://imgur.com/a/tSlrq8l

Also, the Xmax of this Rockford Fosgate is 19mm compared to 14mm that JBL sub has, not so big difference, right?

Archived