Sonic Electronix

Hello all, I am new to this forum as well as car audio in general. I own a 05 Ford F150 XL standard cab, and I want to build something respectable. I like Rock, Metal, and some hip hop. I got a small budget  around 15-1800.My truck is stock 4.2v6. I've been looking at the Orion HCCA15, and HCCA 5000.1D amp. That is the type of power I feel like I need, but as I said I don't know much. There are so many brands, and phony amps out there. It has been very difficult to research. I like to shop in person, so I've been a lil indecisive. There are so many questions I have. Like, what is the resonating frequency of my cab? Do I need an extra battery, or can I use a 5-10 farad cap? What is the best sub for the music I like? Sealed or ported, can I have a hard hitting ported box? If I build a small ported box will it hit more like a sealed? Should I use an aero port, square, or slot? I want my sub to be heard from a distance, but retain decent sound quality. Which subs will give me great SQ and SPL? Is there a true SQL sub?...lol Ok, I think you get the idea. I would very much appreciate any and all feedback. My ultimate goal is to play music loud enough so that the cars around me will hear what I hear...plainly. I realize I will have to upgrade my mids-highs, but one thing at a time. Again, thanks for any advice.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you want to run 5k, youre going to blow most of your budget on just upgrading your electrical to handle it.  youll need a HO alt, at least 2 runs of 1/0, an upgraded front battery and at least 1 or 2 additional rear batteries.  stay away from caps, unless they're supercaps they're worthless trash.

alt - $700: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_88419_Mechman-Alternators-8447370.html

wire - $80: http://skyhighcaraudio.com/sky-high-car-audio-cca-1-0-gauge/#features

batteries (your truck uses a group 65) - $600 for 2:  https://www.amazon.com/XS-Power-D6500-Battery-Terminal/dp/B005FYJ67O

so thats $1340 just in parts, not counting ring terminals, crimpers, fuse blocks, fuses, etc.

5k is pretty demanding.  just be prepared

Also, you will need to hack your standard cab truck to find required air space.

welcome to SMD.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I would spend that budget getting your front stage and electrical done to prep you for the sub stage you plan to run. 

The last thing you want to do is buy stuff you cannot use right away, and then it sits around doing nothing and losing your valuable warranty just sitting there.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

7 hours ago, bmwking said:

if you want to run 5k, youre going to blow most of your budget on just upgrading your electrical to handle it.  youll need a HO alt, at least 2 runs of 1/0, an upgraded front battery and at least 1 or 2 additional rear batteries.  stay away from caps, unless they're supercaps they're worthless trash.

alt - $700: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_88419_Mechman-Alternators-8447370.html

wire - $80: http://skyhighcaraudio.com/sky-high-car-audio-cca-1-0-gauge/#features

batteries (your truck uses a group 65) - $600 for 2:  https://www.amazon.com/XS-Power-D6500-Battery-Terminal/dp/B005FYJ67O

so thats $1340 just in parts, not counting ring terminals, crimpers, fuse blocks, fuses, etc.

5k is pretty demanding.  just be prepared

Thank you for your input. I have looked at some 3oo amp alts, a 2000 amp XS battery and some 0guage OFC wire for amp and big 3 upgrade. I have seen many fuse blocks without knowing which brand to get. I looked at 300amp fuses, 3 of them, and a battery isolator relay. It doesn't have to be 5k. I thought I would get the 5k amp to give myself room to grow. The sub is only rated at 2500rms. Maybe I could get by with an amp that would draw half that power. I noticed that when amps of that size are on dyno they draw around 300 amps. Could I get by with the smaller battery using a less powerful amp? As much as I would love to grow my system, the space in the cab of my truck is severely limited. In total, I have 2k for budget. I think I will be able to purchase all necessary upgrades. I guess my real question is concerning the sub and amp. What would be a great sub? I've looked at so many. I spoke of Orion because they were reviewed so often in articles. I thought maybe I should go with it, but I know how some ppl who test or review things are. I figure a true audiophile would know best.

5 hours ago, Skullz said:

I would spend that budget getting your front stage and electrical done to prep you for the sub stage you plan to run. 

The last thing you want to do is buy stuff you cannot use right away, and then it sits around doing nothing and losing your valuable warranty just sitting there.

That is very true, and something I hadn't thought of. I hope to be able to purchase everything I might need at the same time. What sub and amp would you recommend?

6 hours ago, White Lightning said:

Also, you will need to hack your standard cab truck to find required air space.

welcome to SMD.

Thank you for welcoming me. I have measured the available space that I might be able to use. I wont be able to get real big, but I should be able to fit a 15" sub behind my passenger seat nicely. What sub ,amp, box combo would you recommend? I have around 500 for sub, and as much for amp. Perhaps a few hundred more if necessary. I have at least 4 ft^3 available.

Yes,  I can,  and I did lol.  For some resin it will not allow me to upload the pic. File is to large. I got the HCCA 152, Orion XTR 2500.1Dz amp,  0 guage wire,  3 install gear 300amp anl fuses and fuse holders, XS 3400 AGM battery, and a 300 amp alternator. I built a 3.2 cubic foot box and I stuffed 2 lbs of poly in it. It was suggested 1lb per cubic foot,  but I went with 2 because the recommended sealed enclosure was 3.65 cubic feet. I haven't broken it in yet, so I haven't cranked it. It sounds good so far tho?

M2.jpg

Archived