Ok i got a mk1 vw golf and the stock alternator is only 65amps. I am having bad voltage drops, i have 1 optima 55 up front and a 75 at the back but when i hit it on the audio control 190 or tl my score always maximizes and then gradually just drops. I will like start on a 147-48 and drop to a 45-46. Only problem is according to iasca i can upgrade my alt but it cant be physically bigger than the stock alt. So my question is if i upgrade my alt would my number not drop so much and can i upgrade it without changing the size?

you can upgrade your alt with another same-size-higher output alt, but only up to a point. After a certain output, the casing is more than likely going to be slightly bigger than stock. And yes, it will improve your score. 65 amps can barely drive 1000 Wrms.

you can upgrade your alt with another same-size-higher output alt, but only up to a point. After a certain output, the casing is more than likely going to be slightly bigger than stock. And yes, it will improve your score. 65 amps can barely drive 1000 Wrms.

ok im just trying to understand this. Does the alt being 65amps mean that i will only have 65amps flowing through my system or will i the amps from the batteries add to the current through out the system? Sorry im a bit confused

If your alt is 65amps you deduct some for the cars electricals You may see 50/60 amps total. You should use more batteries but your vw is only putting out 13.8 to 14v this will never charge a optima. You need to charge the hell out of them I would get a bigger alt and try power master or kinetic they will perform will less voltage. We looked into optima they like 14.8 to 15.8v to start the charging reaction. Or get you a 16v charger and charge them all night before the comp, and between runs. Hope this helps,

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

If your alt is 65amps you deduct some for the cars electricals You may see 50/60 amps total. You should use more batteries but your vw is only putting out 13.8 to 14v this will never charge a optima. You need to charge the hell out of them I would get a bigger alt and try power master or kinetic they will perform will less voltage. We looked into optima they like 14.8 to 15.8v to start the charging reaction. Or get you a 16v charger and charge them all night before the comp, and between runs. Hope this helps,

MLA

the batteries are only in for comps and i have an intelligent charger thats chargers them before a comp. So the batteries are fully charged when i run but i still drop, so wat i was trying to ask is if i did upgrade the alt would this stabilize the drop?

might help, but the problem is your voltage and alternators for everyday cars off their stock plugs just don't reach much above 14volts. This is why its dropping or some bad cells from voltage drops!

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

might help, but the problem is your voltage and alternators for everyday cars off their stock plugs just don't reach much above 14volts. This is why its dropping or some bad cells from voltage drops!

MLA

ok wat if i got a 15.5voltage regulator and upgraded the alt to like a 150amp/180amp?

ok wat if i got a 15.5voltage regulator and upgraded the alt to like a 150amp/180amp?

Your car is the regulator control, it give the signal to the alt. The alt will give you more juice but you will still drop. Maybe add batteries this is always a sure thing.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

Your car is the regulator control, it give the signal to the alt. The alt will give you more juice but you will still drop. Maybe add batteries this is always a sure thing.

MLA

ok thanks for all your help man!