cpu choices, who wants to help?

so i have a maximus VI motherboard. supports LGA 1150 cpu's. currently running an i5-4430. this motherboard supports i7's. so where do i upgrade from here? looking at intel revisions on cpu's is like looking at nividias revisions on GPU's. 

i have 8GB of ram and a 1080ti and have plenty of power supply. 

thanks for the help

I have a Maximus VII Impact with the i5-4690k on 16gb of RAM and a 1080ti...blistering fast for what I need it for (mostly gaming).  If you plan on keeping the 1150 board, you can either upgrade to the i5-4690k (can OC to 4.6ghz) or the i7-4790k...not many choices when it comes to 1150 cpu’s.

1 x Fi Audio SP4 V2 12" D2 Fully Loaded

1 x Wolfram W-4500.1

2 x XS Power D5100's

250A Singer Alternator

2.67 Cubes @ 29hz

You def will get a small bump in performance going to the i7, you may even be able to notice it. I would only do it if you could get the i7 chip cheap. Otherwise you'd be better off investing into some current or last gen tech. A quick look on ebay and I found a i7- 4770 going for $130.

i'm not sure just going to an i7 in the same gen is going to be worth it, seems like i would need to go to a 7th gen o get what i want, and at that point i would need a motherboard, and at that point might as well go to AMD and get the Ryzen. Damn, was hoping to upgrade cheap. 

Just going to pay down a CC and get a new PS mobo, cpu, ram...... lol gonna have to reinstall windows at that point, updates oh god

You could look into a Xeon cpu (your mobo supports certain xeon parts) they are cheaper used most of the time. No overclocking on it though. I wouldn't recommend buying a "new" cpu that old. Is there something your PC cant do currently that you want it to do?

Under Construction

On 11/26/2018 at 5:45 AM, hifonix said:

You could look into a Xeon cpu (your mobo supports certain xeon parts) they are cheaper used most of the time. No overclocking on it though. I wouldn't recommend buying a "new" cpu that old. Is there something your PC cant do currently that you want it to do?

like i said, i might as well go ryzen instead of intel because i need a new motherboard anyway.  ryzen seem to be a much better value. performance is way up there unless i want to spend 1000+ on a cpu.

Nothing wrong with the ryzen chips. Hate to say it but HP Omen series pc's for the price are not bad machines... when on sale they are around 800$ for a decent desktop pre-built.

This model was on sale black friday HP Omen 870-213w 

i7-7700k gtx1070 256gb SSD and 1tb HDD 16gb of ram

Under Construction

Archived