Second Skin Audio

My friend asked me a question and I didn't have a answer.

8v fury

One of my good friends asked me if he could run 2 DVC 4 ohms subwoofers and 2 svc 4 ohms subwoofers off a 2-ohm stable mono amp or a 2 ohm stable two channel amp.  I didn't have an answer for him. Was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible and if it is how should he wire it up and what would ohms be at. Or should I tell him don't do it. 

Pushing it to the limits. Want more power. 

The short answer is "tell him don't do it".  

You COULD wire the two DVC subs together for a 4 ohm final load and run them off one side of a two channel amp and then wire the two SVC subs together for a 2 ohm load and run them off the other side of the two channel amp.  It would make sound, but the subs would not be receiving equal power unless you could set the left and right channel gains separately and even then it would be far less than ideal.  This falls under the category of things that are technically possible, but not a good idea at all.  

Mixing together subs with miss-match impedance never works well.  Its not something you even want to mess around with.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 hours ago, 8v fury said:

One of my good friends asked me if he could run 2 DVC 4 ohms subwoofers and 2 svc 4 ohms subwoofers off a 2-ohm stable mono amp or a 2 ohm stable two channel amp.  I didn't have an answer for him. Was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible and if it is how should he wire it up and what would ohms be at. Or should I tell him don't do it. 

If it's two amps you could run one DVC sub wired to two ohms to each of the channels of the two channel amp, then you would wire the two 4 ohm SVC to 2 ohm and use the single channel amp for them.

It still can a mess and I wouldn't recommend it without knowing what exactly are the subs and amps (if two) you are using.

Archived