Second Skin Audio

Sub sounds like it's getting half the power???

dnewell2004

What's up bassheads? Ok so up until today all was great. System was working fine. On my way home from work I noticed it didn't sound right. Chalked it up to cold weather and sub being stiff. Turned it off figured I'd try tomorrow. Had to run to town for medicine for the sick kids and figured I'd stop at the mall and look at everything. Everything is plugged in as it was, unplugged one rca at a time and it got quieter so it shouldn't be a bad rca. Setting are all still the same. Got home and took the sub out and neither of the coils came unplugged. Box didn't come apart. No scratchy sounding or burned smelling coils. Hits higher notes "okay" but has no power on the lows. It is not moving air like it was either. Just looking for some outside the box thinking. I'm going to unplug one coil at a time tomorrow to see if one is bad. Too late tonight. Thanks for any help. 

15 American Bass XFL dual 2 on a diamond 1000.1 wired @1ohm in case you need to know.

Them: "Why does my amp keep cutting out?"

Me: "What is your ohm load?"

Them: "What's an ohm load?"

Unplugging the coils individually, like you said, would by my next step.  Sure sounds like one isn't getting power for whatever reason.  

If you have access to a multimeter you could measure the resistance of the coils as well.  

While it would be unusual, you might check your box for any cracks or splits.  That would cause as big loss in output as well and would affect the low notes more than the higher ones.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Each coil plays individually and reads around 2ohm. They read 1ohm at the amp. Amp voltage is 14.1...before it hits. Any other thoughts before i contact American Bass? Just no output at low frequencies.

One thing comes to mind, has anyone been allowed to mess with anything stereo wise at all?  That some times could be the cause of the issue and if not have you tried playing the sub outside the box to see if it hits those lows you say it is not hitting?  If neither of those are the prob, try checking the wires going to the box, one of them might be crimped causing a small issue.

Speakers are a weird thing same as amps, one day they will sound just fine then the next they will sound outta tune for no reason.

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

Checked the fuses and they all look ok. I'll still replace them just to be safe. Took the sub out of the box and played 20-35hz and it barely moves. I'm going to try to hook the sub up to my rear channel on my 4ch and see what happens and swap rca cables around. Kind of hope it's the amp so I can get a new one. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you guys updated and try anything else anyone thinks could be wrong.

Ok so on lunch I went through all of the settings on the HU. It is one of the pioneer media things with no disc player. Everything was fine. All of the settings were where they should have been. Checked all the crossovers, bass settings, eq, speaker levels, etc. Turned it off and went to the main settings where you can adjust the clock and look for software updates. There was a master reset option so I hit it. I went through the initial set up, changed the settings where they were, took a deep breath and crossed my fingers and turned it in. Everything is back to normal now thank God. Thank you guys for your help.

Archived