Second Skin Audio

small subs to work in sealed box

joakwin

im building a 1984 rhd classic mini, the car has a honda d16z6 in it

I dont have much room in the car for a stereo but that wont stop me

I have a jbl gto 501-ez amp to power the subs with, ive seen the amp dyno video for it and I found it local to me for $60 used, so I picked it up

currently I have two mtx thunder 5000 8's, but im pretty sure that jbl amp will be way to much power, I dont want to kill the subs

I have less then 1 cube of air space to work with, im looking at cutting the back seat wall between the trunk and cab area, and sliding the box into the trunk from inside the cab area and making the face of the box oversize to bolt it into the back wall

the area I have to work with is around 20 inches wide and 9.5 inches tall and the depth I have alittle room to work with but not much because I have to stick the jbl amps in that space as well, I may be able to go a hair wider but space is going to be very tight

I also have a small 2ch jbl amp that im running the 6.5 2 way comps off for the front sound and no rear fill speaker, and that amp is going to go into the trunk as well

so im looking for ideas for small subs that will sound good and not be to crazy in price, something around $100 each or so I guess,

I listen to hip hop and rock music but for the most part, anything with a good beat 

im still doing body work on the car and im kind of waiting for the cold weather to go away for primer and paint, next spring time it will be painted

thanks for any help you can give me

here's a picture of the car

43138220854_4c14281f88.jpgoutside in the sun by joa kwin, on Flickr

84 austin mini

building a system for it currently

ok, hear me out, because i've just started getting into the world of tiny subs.

in your space, if you can swing an extra inch or so in height (and lose about half your width which would free up more room in that teeny trunk), you could use a 6.5" sub ported.

Just for gits and shiggles, look at the massive audio hippoXL64.  They're very highly recommended in the tiny sub world. and at $100 it's perfect budget wise.

https://www.amazon.com/Massive-Audio-HippoXL64-6-Competition-Individually/dp/B073RP7LVY

they're dual 4, so you can wire to 2 ohm.  they're rated 300 rms conservatively.  as long as you tune for clean power i dont think youll have any issue with your amp.

plus the manufacturer recommended box specs are 12"H x 10"D x 10"W with a 3" round port 7" long.

if you use they're spec it'll be tuned to about 70hz according to torres (one of the other box gurus may be able to chime in with a better design for you too) however if you use you're original 20" width and do 10" height and depth, that'll be a hair over 1 cubif ft and with the same 3" round 7" long port, tune your box to about 46hz.  a much more usable tune with your music tastes.  

Personally I've used 4 6.5" subs to great result so far.  I even used a CT Sounds meso6.5 in a smaller than recommended sealed box in the hatch of an 03 cooper s.  on 300 watts that little fucker shook the rearview mirror!

you have tons of options in your price range as far as 6.5s go too, even a sundown SA series 6.5".

food for thought :)

Stereo integrity bmkv

Its over your budget but worth it.

Its purpose built for situations like yours.

Nevermind,,just read your dimensions.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

• 2 weeks later...

my wife got me some jbl stage 8's for Christmas, 

im now planning to keep the stereo all jbl in the car

speakers, amps, and now subs

so I built a box for the jbl's and im using some sony subs for mock up

44404783860_939f7e04ea.jpgsub box by joa kwin, on Flickr

84 austin mini

32351964518_9e146d6ccd.jpgmini sub box by joa kwin, on Flickr

before any bracing 

45364931195_0ee2cd72fc.jpgrear subbox by joa kwin, on Flickr

44460608880_7c530b9748.jpgsub box ready by joa kwin, on Flickr

I had to offset the sub box into the car to leave room for the fuel tank filler neck on the left side of the boot

84 austin mini

I still need to make the side fillers for the boot and make some panels for the boot lid

Im not really good at working with carpet, so im trying to learn as I go

the sub box is .85 cu ft sealed, I put alittle poly filler into the box 

so far the system hits pretty nice, since the front seats are so far back, and the volume inside the shell is so small

31418599867_8f5d98b5f0.jpg47682509_697669890632855_2042862475212226560_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

84 austin mini

I built my old box for my Nissan micra about 7 years ago, and I no longer have that car, so I stuck that system into my honda element, but I wanted to build a box for this car, so after about 18 months, I got around to it,

I haven't put any wire terminals into this box yet because im still playing around with this box, moving it around to see how it sounds 

new box and old box with a single 10 inch American bass sub, its based on a tc7 design 

31270719147_ef8267ee13.jpgold box by joa kwin, on Flickr

45485908934_8d25140628.jpgnew box by joa kwin, on Flickr

84 austin mini

Archived