Second Skin Audio

I'm too old for this but I have a bass problem

2rgrbn

I am changing my equipment from all SKAR top of their lines everything. This is the new system so it's known what I'm working with.

2018 Ford F-150 Crew Cab

Excessive Amperage 370 Amp Alt

2 XS 1750 batteries 1 Bat Cap (don't remember it's specs) 0 Gauge Wire everywhere

Front mid & High Focal K2 6.5",  Rear CDT ES 6.5" Both Are 2 Ohm

Mid & High Amp = Memphis Baby Bell MC 600D (Old School 75 Watts per Channel at 2 Ohms)

Factory Head Unit (5" screen) to an Alpine  PXE-0850S  Processor to the amps

Now the situation I am removing the Skar 4500 Watt Amp and replacing it with a US Amps USA 2000 (Old School US Amp)

Subs Are SKAR EVL 12" (2) they are in a sealed enclosure down fired. The enclosure is 31" Long X 18" W X 16" Tall with a divider making 2 separate sealed chambers. The subs are dual 4 Ohm and I don't really like the sound. The entire  back of the truck was redesigned and fabricated to make it now foldable rear bucket seats with the sub box serving as a center console. The only place to mount the Sub Amp is on the top of the box and it has a cover, leather etc. So I am changing the subs to dual 2 ohm for the US Amp. and I am not current on whats what as far as equipment goes. So I need help making a decision The EVL subs are OK and I suspect might be fine in a ported enclosure or Skars next level above sub. The box  I need to keep since the truck is built around it is 1.75 Cu Ft per sub if I put ports they can only go on the sides no room on top amp is there and no room on bottom subs are there. If I go that route is there a port design that works best on the side or is that even a good idea?

Or option 2-Who makes a 12" Sub that sounds right in 1.75 Cu Ft Sealed The Skar EVL's are a little punchy for me in this set up.

Basically I have a box for 2 12's fired down with an amp on top and I need to modify it or put different subs in it the goal is SQ very loud SQ

Sorry about the windy explanation and thanks in advance for any advice 

2018 Ford F-150 Supercrew

Excessive Amperage 370 Amp Alt, (2) XS-Power D 1200 Batteries, Factory Head Unit, Alpine PXE-0850S sound processing, US Amps USA 2000, Hertz HDP 4, Focal 165 KR2, Focal ES165 KX2, (2) Skar VXF-12's  Box Design by Mark Car Audio Fab.

Not deep in tone, IE a 40 Hz note sounds like a 60 Hz note kinda. Its hard to explain I guess it sounds like it is in too big of a box.  Do to my schedule I had to go ahead and buy some subs nso I can recieve them before I travel again. When they arrive I will have 12" Skar VXF's in every review I read that are positive everyone is in a ported enclosure. My enclosure is 1.75 Cu Ft per sub (Each has it's own compartment) The VXF is recommended 1.8 Cu Ft Ported. A new box is not an option right now so my challenge is to install a port that will work well with the VXF and the only place it can go is the sides (Amp built into the top, subs take up entire bottom, ends are up against console and rear wall of truck) How important is the type of port meaning does the sub care if it is a round or square port. I have built ported boxes but typically use sealed.

Excessive Amperage 370 Amp Alt, (2) XS-Power D 1200 Batteries, Factory Head Unit, Alpine PXE-0850S sound processing, US Amps USA 2000, Hertz HDP 4, Focal 165 KR2, Focal ES165 KX2, (2) Skar VXF-12's  Box Design by Mark Car Audio Fab.

My box is 31" Long with a 3/4" divider so 2 Each Chambers at Roughly 15" Deep X 18" Wide X 16" Tall. Skars recomendations are below. The only way I know of making a port that long in this box would be rectangular and go around a corner I am not savvy enough to know what effect putting in a 8" X 10" round port would have or any other dimension. I have term pro that I use normally but it is in storage 800 miles away

Copied from Skars sight

Ported Volume: 1.8 ft³

Port Area: 29.75 sq in

Port Length: 31"

Tuning Frequency: 33 Hz

I didnt care for those 2 ohm CDT mids when I ran them in the past.  They just seemed overdamped and quiet.  Turns out a 2 ohm speaker at 200W and a 4 ohm speaker at 100W sound about the same.  Good luck on your subs tho.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I would look for a sub with a lower FS if running sealed. 

Maybe an NVX X series: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46486_NVX-XQW124-Newest-Version.html

or

Dayton HO: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-44-12-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer--295-467

Box volume will have to be adjusted for both of those subs and there is a chance they will not be loud enough for you. You could also go ported with a single sub on your current box would take alot of work but might be doable.

13 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

You aren’t going to be able to port that box you currently have and keep enough airspace for those subs. They require 1.8 each and  that is after the woofer and port take up 

Pics would be nice to see if external port(s) can be integrated ... just Saying 

3 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Just in, to say... your NEVER to fucking old.

Fuck that ...

Absolutely 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Wow this is a good sight I got some real answers and I appreciate that. I decided to answer another question as I go thru this fix, based on the input I received here I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and fab another box or with my current work schedule I might have it done by someone else so suggestions on who may be interested in that are welcome. Here is the new plan. Subs are Skar 12" VXF's, and Skar EVL 6.5's (the memphis baby bell is a 5 channel so the 6.5"s will go on channel 5. Keeping the K2's up front going to try the CDK's if they are flat as mentioned above I will get another set of K2's they sound great. I just purchased a Zapco C2K 9.0, and a US Amps USA 2000, and a PPI PC21400. So once I get the box figured out I am going to try the Zapco and the USA 2000 I have a  long standing relationship with PPI but I don't suspect it can quite hang with the other 2 and it needs repair now thanks to a buddy. Anyways I am looking forward to seeing which amp comes out on top.  I have ran the 9.0's before and the best amp I have ever owned was a US Amps USA 800. I will post my dimensions available for a box and get some pictures of the area in which it will go in the next day or 2, if you guys can give me someone that actually knows how to build a box and they are reasonable I will just have one built. The length and width are pretty much set the height can be adjusted as needed to get additional airspace right now the box serves as an armrest for the rear passengers but I don't have that many passengers in the back so they can rest their arms somewhere else if need be. I have to remove the box to get acurate dimensions and good picture so I may be a day or 2 posting again. Thanks for the help it really is appriciated

Archived