Sundown Audio

Amp switch repair

Bret

I was at the junkyard the other day looking for some dynaudio speakers from a Volkswagen they got in. Someone beat me to the speakers, or someone removed them before taking the car to the junkyard. Anyway I spotted a Zapco st4x sq that was beat up, they sold it to me for $30. Every screw on the amp is stripped, except the terminal screws. All the cut wires that were still in the terminals were clamped to the insulation. All the copper strands were either broke off or someone didn't strip them in the first place. Inside it looks like new. It powers up. The only trouble is two of the little selector switches won't budge. One is the x-over, which is stuck on full range. I contacted Zapco and asked for advice but they didn't respond. I thought I would get contact cleaner and drip some in but I don't know if it could harm something, I've never used that stuff before. Worst case I will try taking the switches apart, which may or may not involve un-soldering them from the board. I guess This is a good opportunity to learn. If I screw it up it's only $30. Anyone here ever fix little switches like these?

Archived