Second Skin Audio

6.5" sub, round port size?

CorNut

I'm planning to use this as midbass to supplement a 10" Champion Pro where it's lacking. Is a 2" round port too much for a 6.5" sub?

It's a Skar Audio EVL-65 D4

I've always believed 2" for an 8, 3" for a 10 and 4" for a 12. I'm not saying that's right, but that rule of thumb has worked out for me. If not in a trunk, I've ventured a bit larger to avoid port noise, but this will be in a trunk. I have no experience with a 6.5" sub, I already purchased it, hopefully it does ok.

3 minutes ago, Joe X said:

You need midbass drivers and that's a subwoofer, very peaky on ported and useless in sealed, what frequency range are you missing and how much power you intend to source?

I was wondering the same. I just got a pair of sundown sa 6.5 subs (becsuse i dont have much room) and i have no idea where to start on net area, port size, or tuning

2 hours ago, Joe X said:

You need midbass drivers and that's a subwoofer, very peaky on ported and useless in sealed, what frequency range are you missing and how much power you intend to source?

2 hours ago, ToNasty said:

I was wondering the same. I just got a pair of sundown sa 6.5 subs (becsuse i dont have much room) and i have no idea where to start on net area, port size, or tuning

I'm not sure what the 10 is tuned to, I just know the 10 in my truck is tuned to just under 36 and it has way more range/sounds great. Maybe it's the sub and not me tuning the box too low? Regardless, I want to find a way to make it sound better.

Ignore my poor lingo here, but I'll use Nemesis "munchies for your bass" for example. When it does the 2 highest bass notes of the song followed by the 2 lower ones, then 2 even lower. The first 2/higher ones are barely noticeable, then the middle ones are insanely loud and the lowest ones are less audible, but make the rearview mirror unusable. The same song in my truck which has a 10" RE Audio SL series sounds equally good at all notes, it's tuned to ~36hz. It doesn't have nearly the rumble with the really low notes but it's a slimline sub so it's expected.

I can't easily change the tune on the Pioneer 10, it was a pain to build the box and the port is epoxied in there because it was rattling. It was right up to the back of the fiberglass mold. It wasn't my first attempt at fiberglass, but it was a hard build, things didn't work out right but I was able to salvage it. I guessed on the tuning. I used a 2 cup pyrex glass measuring cup, lined the box with a shower curtain and seen how many cups of water I could fill it with. I installed the port and baffle after that, it rattled bad so I reached in and epoxied it in place to the back of the box.  I then compared that measuring cup to another when I realized the sub's range wasn't what I'm used to, the measuring cups were off from each other, it's too late to change anything without irreversible guessing at this point.

Fronts are 6.5" Kappa coax's, the amp is an RE Audio 90.4, it's 85x4 @ 2 ohm, currently running bridged, 150x2 @ 2 ohm. I have the amp turned down anyway, it's too much for the fronts, I have no rears. I thought maybe a single/small ported sub tuned a little higher would fill the gap. I can unbridge the amp, it'll still give me 85x2 up front and it'll leave me with either 85x2 or 150x1 if running 2 ohm.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but that's my situation/what I'm dealing with. I'll take any advice you have. I currently have no rear speakers, I bought the 6.5 sub but it's not a big deal if I don't end up using it, it was inexpensive & my nephew would love it. If I can use those rear channels to help compensate I'm all for it. The Pioneer sub sounds amazing, it isn't like it sucks but I'm hoping to supplement where it falls flat.

The rear/factory speakers (not used) are 6x9's, that's why I was figuring I'd use a 6.5, I planned to build a small box and secure it to the rear deck where one of the factory speakers are. I hope to not lose trunk space, that's why I did the fiberglass box next to a rear wheel well.

3 hours ago, ToNasty said:

Here's some infos on those subs you may find useful from here: 

https://www.woofersetc.com/sa-6-5-sw-d2-sundown-audio-6-5-200w-dual-2-ohm-sa-series-subwoofer.html 

Box specs at the bottom.

Sundown Audio SA-6.5 SW D2 6.5" 200W Dual 2-Ohm SA Series Subwoofer

Features & Specifications:

• Power Handling:
    • 200 Watts RMS
  • 1.5" Coil with 1" winding length
  • Thick 10mm Extended Top Plate
  • Hyper-Extended Pole piece with integrated cooling channels
  • Full height magnet ID shorting ring for reduced inductive distortion
  • Fully stitched surround
  • Flat tied-on high-current tinsel leads

T/S Parameters D2:

• Fms: 48.9 Hz
  • Res: 45.5 Ohm
  • Re: 4 Ohm
  • Qms: 4.82
  • Qes: 0.50
  • Qts: 0.46
  • Rms: 4.8 kg/s
  • Cms: 0.14 mm/N
  • Mms: 74.8 gr
  • Nref: 0.09 %
  • Bl: 13.5 N/A
  • SPL: 81.6 dB
  • VAS: 4.1 L
  • Rp: 31 Ohm
  • Lp: 24.7 mH
  • Cp: 829.8 uF
  • Le: 1.69 mH

Enclosure Specifications:

• 0.25cuft - 0.35cuft ported (NET) per woofer
  • Port area: 4sqin per woofer
  • Mounting Depth: 3.79"

7 minutes ago, Joe X said:

Here's some infos on those subs you may find useful from here: 

https://www.woofersetc.com/sa-6-5-sw-d2-sundown-audio-6-5-200w-dual-2-ohm-sa-series-subwoofer.html 

Box specs at the bottom.

Sundown Audio SA-6.5 SW D2 6.5" 200W Dual 2-Ohm SA Series Subwoofer

Features & Specifications:

• Power Handling:
    • 200 Watts RMS
  • 1.5" Coil with 1" winding length
  • Thick 10mm Extended Top Plate
  • Hyper-Extended Pole piece with integrated cooling channels
  • Full height magnet ID shorting ring for reduced inductive distortion
  • Fully stitched surround
  • Flat tied-on high-current tinsel leads

T/S Parameters D2:

• Fms: 48.9 Hz
  • Res: 45.5 Ohm
  • Re: 4 Ohm
  • Qms: 4.82
  • Qes: 0.50
  • Qts: 0.46
  • Rms: 4.8 kg/s
  • Cms: 0.14 mm/N
  • Mms: 74.8 gr
  • Nref: 0.09 %
  • Bl: 13.5 N/A
  • SPL: 81.6 dB
  • VAS: 4.1 L
  • Rp: 31 Ohm
  • Lp: 24.7 mH
  • Cp: 829.8 uF
  • Le: 1.69 mH

Enclosure Specifications:

• 0.25cuft - 0.35cuft ported (NET) per woofer
  • Port area: 4sqin per woofer
  • Mounting Depth: 3.79"

Some people are telling me .5 cubes 10" of port tuned to 36.  Others aresaying saying .8 cubes 8" of port tuned to 40.  (Im using 2) so i dont know what to believe.  Ive never dealt with a 6.5. Only 8 and up

Sounds like you box is probably hosed up. I would make a wooden enclosure to specs to see how it sounds. Maybe the sub is not up to the task but you will not know until you get a proper enclosure. If it sounds decent in a regular enclosure and you need to custom fit it then give the fiberglass thing another shot. 

Wood is cheap and easy to work with.

17 hours ago, ToNasty said:

Some people are telling me .5 cubes 10" of port tuned to 36.  Others aresaying saying .8 cubes 8" of port tuned to 40.  (Im using 2) so i dont know what to believe.  Ive never dealt with a 6.5. Only 8 and up

if you have a facebook, join the 6.5" subwoofers group.  A lot of pretty well known guys hang out there, plenty with LOTS of experience with the sundown 6.5s that could help you out with a design real quick like

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1979222239015592/

Archived