Speaker placement help. Front stage.

aculous

46 minutes ago, dolarbilz said:

Glass pods on dash..think of it like a sound bar " src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/emojione/assets/3.1/png/64/1f378.png"> in your face music

I feel ya mate. Most just look stupid. Clunky. 

11 hours ago, aculous said:

Well...I am trying to get back into the audio game. life went to shit for a bit but I have a new to me 2007 F250 CC/SB that I am trying to upgrade. Feel like I am going crazy looking at all this stuff again. 

1. Going active. I have two zapco ST-4x SQs and an old school Orion XTR475. Should I go custom 3-way or just buy a component set? 
2. Kenwood deck ( https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kdc-bt772hd/ )  Mainly for easy of use for bluetooth/android control and FLAC 
------ I also own an alpine 9887 which I was going to use but...I like the USB/FLAC of the kenwood... (hoarder status) 
3. Don't know where to place the speakers...either tweet/3" mid on the a pillar and the 8" in the kick or just a 6.5 component set...

Tweeters: 
SBacoutics metal dome tweets
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/hard-dome-tweeter/sb-acoustics-sb26adc-c000-4-aluminum-dome-tweeter/
Mids:
Fountek FE85 "3 mid (plan to run two)
https://www.parts-express.com/fountek-fe85-3-full-range-speaker-driver--296-717
Faitalpro 3FE25 3" mid (plan on run two)
https://www.parts-express.com/faitalpro-3fe25-3-professional-full-range-woofer-8-ohm--294-1104
Woofer:
Beyma 8p300fe
http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma 8p300fe-1.htm

OOOOORRRR....

budget $300 max for a decent but beefy component set. I know 5.25 component set fits in the doors but that location kinda sucks. 

@White Lightning @06RTCharger @ToNasty @Audio-Concepts @Triticum Agricolam 

Would you mind posting a pic of the dash, A-Pilar, kick panel, and door areas so I can go to work. 

Good to see you posting again !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

3 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

I'm more interested in placement than what product your using. 

Does separating mid and tweet from woofer (speaking of a 3way here) do anything detrimental?  If the tweets and mid range are far separated from the woofer, like on the dash, or on the A pillar, what issues will arise, if any?  Running the tweets off axis!?  I am also a little lost on some of this. 

I have had more than a few people, tell me to put the tweets and mids on the dash in a dash type enclosure. I have several pics of people doing this. Tony damores rig is one,  sad thing is, I think it looks shitty. Only a few have done this,  on a way,  its dont look like a fucking box, plopped on the dash... shits frustrating. 

I’ve worked with a few 4Runners in my day. Separation shouldn’t be a problem. 

Honnestly, I’d think you’d be way more dynamic with a 2 way setup. Just Saying 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

9 hours ago, ToNasty said:

Ill have a brand new set of audio frog components soon that will be available :)

How many damn times have your changed your setup?!?! you're worse than me! Thought about hitting you up my hunting partner talked to me about tejano music and where it came from etc etc for a solid 2-3 hours. I am trying to get into it but its kinda rough. 

And I don't know much about audiofrog BUT I had my eye on some Hertz stuff or Blues...Maybe B2. But probably some Frankenstein setup like usual with this https://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-parts/speaker-components/woofers/anarchy7-4ohm.html and sell the beymas and other drivers. 

Also what was your last setup...in the old truck? I just saw your what is it 17/18 build log. Didn't you have a teal one too? I know at one point you were messing with the PPI 3-way, I saw some for sale again they discontinued it or something for awhile. 

8 minutes ago, aculous said:

How many damn times have your changed your setup?!?! you're worse than me! Thought about hitting you up my hunting partner talked to me about tejano music and where it came from etc etc for a solid 2-3 hours. I am trying to get into it but its kinda rough. 

And I don't know much about audiofrog BUT I had my eye on some Hertz stuff or Blues...Maybe B2. But probably some Frankenstein setup like usual with this https://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-parts/speaker-components/woofers/anarchy7-4ohm.html and sell the beymas and other drivers. 

Also what was your last setup...in the old truck? I just saw your what is it 17/18 build log. Didn't you have a teal one too? I know at one point you were messing with the PPI 3-way, I saw some for sale again they discontinued it or something for awhile. 

My teal truck was hybrid audio 8 in the door, hybrid audio 4 and tweet in the a pillar. I actually got it all installed. Half ass tuned same day and next day the truck got hit

I bought a set of audio frog gs components for my 16.  I did a small install the other day for a buddy using the eric stevens components (im sure you know who he is) and damn. Im selling the audio frogs and grabbing the eric stevens

3 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

My teal truck was hybrid audio 8 in the door, hybrid audio 4 and tweet in the a pillar. I actually got it all installed. Half ass tuned same day and next day the truck got hit

I bought a set of audio frog gs components for my 16.  I did a small install the other day for a buddy using the eric stevens components (im sure you know who he is) and damn. Im selling the audio frogs and grabbing the eric stevens

yup! I already looked at them. kinda pricey but look like it would be worth it. I am toying with the idea of running HLCDs one of these days. I talked to Eric awhile back when he was JUST about to announce Stevens Audio and was looking at buying a set. I really like the placement options but they are pricey too. But quality is quality so theres that. Also hes a legend so it makes sense. 

23 minutes ago, aculous said:

yup! I already looked at them. kinda pricey but look like it would be worth it. I am toying with the idea of running HLCDs one of these days. I talked to Eric awhile back when he was JUST about to announce Stevens Audio and was looking at buying a set. I really like the placement options but they are pricey too. But quality is quality so theres that. Also hes a legend so it makes sense. 

589 isnt pricey in my book. Ive thought about using horns. Years ago but i dont want to start punching things because those are a pain

9 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

I'm more interested in placement than what product your using. 

Does separating mid and tweet from woofer (speaking of a 3way here) do anything detrimental?  If the tweets and mid range are far separated from the woofer, like on the dash, or on the A pillar, what issues will arise, if any?  Running the tweets off axis!?  I am also a little lost on some of this. 

I have had more than a few people, tell me to put the tweets and mids on the dash in a dash type enclosure. I have several pics of people doing this. Tony damores rig is one,  sad thing is, I think it looks shitty. Only a few have done this,  on a way,  its dont look like a fucking box, plopped on the dash... shits frustrating. 

**Heres the thing. I am learning so any statement I am making is not a hard fact but just me trying to figure out this shit for the last 15-20 years and still feeling like an infant. So grain of salt before I go any further**

From what I got from Tony's setup is that it seemed odd to me from a dash reflection standpoint and it would drive me crazy to have those in my sight line. If I know that guy though I would bet it was minimal if any. Done right it CAN work, you just have to really know what you're doing and its not optimal. But if I am honest a car is not OPTIMAL for acoustics...so you're always dealing with compromise. 

1. So the objective I see a lot of SQ guys talk about is getting the sound-stage as far forward as possible, this is to get your L/R farther away so you can get a better stereo image and you need less time alignment would be my guess. Problem is shit gets in the way...like say a steering wheel. 

2. A pillar mounted tweeters firing at the other A pillar sound like crap...usually...at least to me. (thank you bose) Cancellation issues as well as dash reflections because essentially you are firing a tweeter into a triangular box. Its dumb don't do it...also you can run into issues too if you setup the tweeters to fire at your ears and don't think about the other people in the car. (I'm selfish so thats MOST likely what I am going to do...but yea it may sound weird to the passenger)

3.You want your mid and tweet as close together as you can based on frequency. Least thats how I understood it. Thats a function of your crossover too, you can tune a passive crossover to get them farther apart I guess but thats not a good idea. If you want things to sound natural the closer they are together the more natural it will sound and less issues you will have tuning your crossover point. With a nice processor though you can tune the crossover and time alignment to remove a lot of these issues but if your setup can't sound good without a lot of electronic trickery...you probably designed it badly in the first place. 

4. Some people run tweeters off axis because of falling response. They are less harsh at say 35 degrees or something. Some tweeters are like that, not all. I would say this is a the exception to the rule. Sometimes they are less "peaky" off-axis too. 

Randall how far off am I? 

course theres that twisted420 video with the shop SQ Lexus thats rocking quad mids and apillar tweeters firing at each other that sounds great. So wtf do I know?

Archived