Sundown Audio

2 2500s or 1 5k - Pros/Cons ??

Surhoff88

While saving up and putting together my current build i changed my mind a few times and ended up with a Brutal Sounds BS2.1 that was meant for a pair of SA12s or something of that caliber.  Of course I decided to go bigger but this time around Im upgrading from the get instead of a week after everything was installed.  So I decided to double up the power and double the subs, or run a pair of Zv5s, or NSv4 if I cant fit 4 SAs.  My question is, now do I buy a second BS2.1 (rated 2100 @ 1 ohm,14.4v) or do I sell mine and buy the BS5.1 (rated 5100 @ 1ohm, 14.4v)?  

Minor difference in power aside, what are your guys opinions on running 2 smaller vs 1 bigger amp?  I look at it as 1 amp is easier to instal and wire and with 2 amps you have twice as many chances for an amp to break down.  Flip side is the higher power amps are fucking huge- limited install possibilities.  But Im just going over the obvious things,  does anyone have anything more profound?  Like info about efficiency and your charging system with 1 big vs 2 small amps?  What about problems or concers about daisy chaining and gain matching vs strapping and how that compares to just using one monoblock for bass.  Maybe there's no difference until you start talking about a 12k or 15k, a real big boi amp!  And what about Brazilian boards?  I dont know enough about them, never ran one.   I think you get the point.  You know, the long time educated basshead kind of answers... Or just anybodys opinion im curious to know what you all think.

I would run 1 big one. Watch this video. https://youtu.be/koCqdDXTb3s

Most of the info you can skip over but he makes a good point about phase issues in the beginning and talks about strapping amps at 7:45 in the video. 

About Brazilian amps. Everyone seems to hate them cause they don't like abuse. I just bought a Taramps MD8000 to replace my 2 Kicker cxa1800.1's and its been amazing so far. But I don't run below rated impedance. 

Korean over Brazilian for 2 reasons... You can wire Korean boards down to fight impedance rise and 2 there's way more reputable, proven, great sounding Korean boards I'm. Zv5's take way more than rated. I put a 4.5k @.5 on mine for a 147db out the trunk on a single 15. 4-sa 12's will get louder because of more cone area and they'll hit harder on less power and you'd be able to get away with 7.2ft³ on the enclosure. 2 zv5's would need about 8ft³ minimal and 8.5 optimal. I'd run 2 bs2.1's @.5 each bare minimal. The 5.1 @.5 works also. 2 amps also split impedance rise to my understanding. Korean Korean Korean!! 

Ive/weve always preferred a board per driver. And dislike strapping. Have always gain matched.  It is more of a pain, wiring and such, but, just what we prefer, and done for seasons and seasons. It's a personal preference for sure..

On 12/15/2018 at 1:39 PM, Surhoff88 said:

Thank you for the link crack." src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/emojione/assets/3.1/png/64/1f44d.png">

I hadn't thought about rise, but i know the final impedance gets damn high with those big boards.  I like the idea of sharing the load, especially when your talking about electronics that draw hundreds of amps.

There is so much more to rise then just the amp  you can have more with multiple amps then with one and vise verse there is articles on rise on this forum look for it

7 minutes ago, CstrokerV said:

There is so much more to rise then just the amp  you can have more with multiple amps then with one and vise verse there is articles on rise on this forum look for it

Could've sworn the one constant is division of rise between amps? That impedance rise shit is for the birds. Jus wire down some haha. 

32 minutes ago, DiBo said:

Could've sworn the one constant is division of rise between amps? That impedance rise shit is for the birds. Jus wire down some haha. 

MAybe I don’t know I might of missed something

55 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

Lost,.. how adding more boards, power being equal,  does anything different with impedance. :shrugs: 

I don’t know never seen anything about rise concerning how many amps 

Archived