Second Skin Audio

will adding spiders change my qms?

BMS

When i have the option lets say on fi's website i can have my sub with 4 5 or 6 spiders so does that change their qms parameter or do they do something to keep it the same? Will having more spiders protect me better from accidentally bottoming out? 

Stiffer suspension = lower qms iirc. Been a while since I fussed with thiele small infos

Then yes. Changing the soft parts will change parameters. 

You brought up "bottoming out"  they are designed to NOT happen unless your soft parts go south,  and even then, the surround maintains. You cant hit the bottom plate. Unless you explode other shit. Its how they are designed 

But yes. Soft part adjustments will dick with parameters. You cant have a 47 player spider pack and expect same numbers from stock/OEM. Make sense now?

21 hours ago, BMS said:

When i have the option lets say on fi's website i can have my sub with 4 5 or 6 spiders so does that change their qms parameter or do they do something to keep it the same? Will having more spiders protect me better from accidentally bottoming out? 

The extra spiders should improve mechanical power handling of the sub but in the process all sub t/s parameters will change leaving you with subs with unknown performance, ideally fi would give you the correct t/s parameters for the custom sub, with them you can see if the sub is still useful for your application, if they don't give you anything you are on your own with the new subs. 

Honestly, proper system design is what will protect you the most from any mishap, get the most cone area for your space and subs rated that match your amp and then design a proper box and use your subsonic filter. Also, research well your purchases don't buy just to see what happens or because stuff is on sale.

Archived