Second Skin Audio

Sub up or back in a forester?

knubs

Wow, thanks for the input you guys! 

I had already read the "understanding ports" thread and that's actually the reason I am choosing to try aeros. I had not, however, read Triticum's thread and that thread/calculator was awesome as well! Lots of good info there. I love info that leads me to understand what I'm doing and why. I now realize that my last box in my other car had way too small of a port for an XL. 

It is looking like 2 4" ports are the new idea. It is similar port area to a 6", but I can split my length into two ports instead of one so that I can get away with not having a port that is unreasonably long. What do you guys think about that?  

1 hour ago, knubs said:

Wow, thanks for the input you guys! 

I had already read the "understanding ports" thread and that's actually the reason I am choosing to try aeros. I had not, however, read Triticum's thread and that thread/calculator was awesome as well! Lots of good info there. I love info that leads me to understand what I'm doing and why. I now realize that my last box in my other car had way too small of a port for an XL. 

It is looking like 2 4" ports are the new idea. It is similar port area to a 6", but I can split my length into two ports instead of one so that I can get away with not having a port that is unreasonably long. What do you guys think about that?  

shredder2 kinda beat me to it, but I figured I would expand on what he said.  

The tuning frequency of your port is a function of box net volume, port area, and port length.  Assuming you keep everything else the same, increasing box size, increasing port length, or reducing port area will lower your tuning.  Conversely reducing port length, increasing port area, or reducing box net volume will raise your tuning.  

So lets say you have one 4" port and its 10" long to tune your box to 35 Hz.  You want more port area so you add an additional 4" port.  You have doubled your port area so you will need to roughly double the length of EACH port to keep your tuning the same.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Well I guess Torres kind of mislead me a little then, but what you guys are saying totally makes sense. What I don't understand is how people have enough space in a box to use aeroports. I need roughly 30" of port length to get to 35hz. That is massive! I've heard that you should never put a bend in an aeroport so how is it possible to get that length? I only have 26"of depth. 

It looks like most people have really short aero's and that confuses me. I'm tempted to buy bass box pro just so I can understand this all a little better, but i don't know if I want to spend that much on software when I won't be building boxes all that often. If you guys could help explain it and point me in the direction of some good reading material I'd be stoked. I'd really love to feel like I know what I'm doing when I set out to design a box. 

14 hours ago, knubs said:

Well I guess Torres kind of mislead me a little then, but what you guys are saying totally makes sense. What I don't understand is how people have enough space in a box to use aeroports. I need roughly 30" of port length to get to 35hz. That is massive! I've heard that you should never put a bend in an aeroport so how is it possible to get that length? I only have 26"of depth. 

It looks like most people have really short aero's and that confuses me. I'm tempted to buy bass box pro just so I can understand this all a little better, but i don't know if I want to spend that much on software when I won't be building boxes all that often. If you guys could help explain it and point me in the direction of some good reading material I'd be stoked. I'd really love to feel like I know what I'm doing when I set out to design a box. 

BassBoxPro is good software but it’s not going to teach you anything you couldn’t learn for free with some digging around.  If you search for threads I’ve started I’ve done several on port design and optimization.  They may be a good start for you and you are always welcome to message me with any questions you may have  

Implementing aero ports can often be challenging, as you have found out.  For these reason I have found them easiest to use on larger boxes were you can get that 30+ inches of port length without bends. While you certainly can put bends in aero ports, doing so sacrifices a lot of their efficiency benefits compared to slot ports. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The biggest ability for using the aero port is when you go bigger you typically need less length. Using all the free things to your disposal try different sizes ports at the same tuning and see what your options are example if you need 30inches in length for a 4in see what a 6, 8, and 10 call for. Its probably not what your wanting to hear, but testing is the true way to find out. If your not chasing numbers then the TL testing doesn't matter and you can base it off your own ear. I personally liked best the way a 6inch aero sounded on a single 12.

22 hours ago, jmanjr82 said:

The biggest ability for using the aero port is when you go bigger you typically need less length. Using all the free things to your disposal try different sizes ports at the same tuning and see what your options are example if you need 30inches in length for a 4in see what a 6, 8, and 10 call for. Its probably not what your wanting to hear, but testing is the true way to find out. If your not chasing numbers then the TL testing doesn't matter and you can base it off your own ear. I personally liked best the way a 6inch aero sounded on a single 12.

No. You're completely wrong. Increasing port area requires increasing port length to reach the same tuning.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:15 AM, Triticum Agricolam said:

BassBoxPro is good software but it’s not going to teach you anything you couldn’t learn for free with some digging around.  If you search for threads I’ve started I’ve done several on port design and optimization.  They may be a good start for you and you are always welcome to message me with any questions you may have  

Implementing aero ports can often be challenging, as you have found out.  For these reason I have found them easiest to use on larger boxes were you can get that 30+ inches of port length without bends. While you certainly can put bends in aero ports, doing so sacrifices a lot of their efficiency benefits compared to slot ports. 

Thanks a bunch ! I've gone through and read most of your relevant threads now. 

It sounds like the aeroport isn't going to work for me, so I just threw a design together for a slot port box with 32.5" of port area(does that sound OK or should I go bigger?). I'm going to attach some pics of Torres and sketchup. If you guys could glance at them and tell me if everything looks right I'd appreciate it. Also let me know if you see anything I could improve upon. I may also add 45's in the port as well. 

Thanks everyone!

2018-12-26 14.53.58.jpg

Archived