Second Skin Audio

Sub up or back in a forester?

knubs

What's up everyone? It's been a while since I've done a build and I'm starting one in my 07 subaru forester. Im working on the box design right now and I'm  indecisive on whether I should have the sub up or facing back. The sub is a 12" DC XL m2. I've decided I am going to run 2 3" aeroports since I've only ever done slot ports. I'm pretty sure I want them facing the back, but I don't know how to determine the sub direction.

Also where should the ports be in relation to the sub? If the sub is facing up should the aeroports be in the middle of the back wall of the box, or closer to the bottom? Do you want the ports close to the sub or further away? Also since I'm running 2 ports should they be right next to each other or should I space them out?

Need more information, but based off your basics sub as far from the ports as possible. Testing is going to tell you what works best if its sub up or back. In my experience I build a forester in Okinawa Japan and we did sub up port back and it worked the best. I believe it was a 05'

I am wanting to run 2 3" ports because I am planning on the box being 1.5 cubic feet. That equals 9.42" of port area per cubic foot. Isn't 8-12" per cubic foot what most people aim for?  It's my first aero box so I'm open for suggestions.

I will be running a 2400w hifonics Brutus amp at 1ohm for the sub. I will have a kinetik hc-2400 and an hc-1800 for batteries and also I have a 130a alternator. My planned tuning for the box is 35hz.

Thank's for the input! 

53 minutes ago, ckeeler11 said:

1.5 cubes is way to small for that sub. You need to be at 5.5 cubes. With that you will need at minimum 55 sq. in. of port area.

5.5 cubes for a single DC M2 12"?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

5 cubes is way off the mark. Shrinking the box size for a large sum of power I could see, but based on the rms of the sub and the amp being used by op he doesn't need to over compensate with box volume. Your best bet is going to be building this 1.5 cuft box and try different types of ports. My personal experience was a larger aero 99% yielded better results over smaller aeros.

way back when I ran a RD Audio SHW 12 on 2 RD Audio 5ks started with a single 4inch port and it was decently loud to the ear and mic, went to 2 4inch aeros and it got better, but not much, went to a 6inch port and that yielded the best numbers and sound in that specific box.

Archived