Voltronix litium

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does.a set like this cost ???

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Any balancing circuitry? What about charging? Your alt will be charging at a voltage of at least 13.6 minimum, which is more than 3.2v per cell. How will that affect the cells?

1 hour ago, reedal said:

Any balancing circuitry? What about charging? Your alt will be charging at a voltage of at least 13.6 minimum, which is more than 3.2v per cell. How will that affect the cells?

according to that data sheet each cell has a max operating voltage of 4v, meaning he could charge them up and including @ 16v, over that will shorten the life span of the cells.  should be fine in an automotive application.  as far as balancing, it's not really necessary as long as he puts each cell on a trickle charger to make sure theyre topped up before connecting them.  balancing circuitry is really only necessary when running several banks of lithium off the same charging source, and even then we're talking like 4+.  it comes in handy in solar and RV applications.

9 hours ago, lightfoot said:

so, i made a couple of buss bars and these 4 cells in series are giving me 13.31v 

lithium.jpg

on that data sheet it shows the operating range of up to 4v per cell.  it's possible a few or one of them is charged to 4v and the rest are 3.2.  make sure you charge the bank on a trickle charger for a few days to fully charge and let the cells balance before putting it into your car.

1 hour ago, bmwking said:

according to that data sheet each cell has a max operating voltage of 4v, meaning he could charge them up and including @ 16v, over that will shorten the life span of the cells.  should be fine in an automotive application.  as far as balancing, it's not really necessary as long as he puts each cell on a trickle charger to make sure theyre topped up before connecting them.  balancing circuitry is really only necessary when running several banks of lithium off the same charging source, and even then we're talking like 4+.  it comes in handy in solar and RV applications.

Good to know, thank you.

Thanks for the replies. these were given to me by a friend who acquired them from his neighbor who builds electric vehicles. he said that they were about $200 a peice. can a use a standard 12v trickle charger on these or do I need a special lithium charger? 

47 minutes ago, lightfoot said:

Thanks for the replies. these were given to me by a friend who acquired them from his neighbor who builds electric vehicles. he said that they were about $200 a peice. can a use a standard 12v trickle charger on these or do I need a special lithium charger? 

a standard trickle charger should work fine as long as it's relatively modern.  dont use your grandpas old roll around craftsman battery charger.  something that's safe for use with agm batteries will be ok for the lithiums. 

Archived