Sundown Audio

Advice on Amp fuses please.

Dragonsyph

Iv never had any amp that needed anything higher than a 500a fuse.

The amp will be getting says it recommends a 900A fuse,  i found some 800A ones but are like 100 dollars each lol.

If the amp says 900A fuse, how do i go about doing that?   Am i gonna have to use double fuse blocks with x2 450A?  Or is running a 350A fuse on each 1/0 run good enough since it will be pulling power from multiple lines?(1/0 at 20-25 feet is like 350A)

Im guessing i wanna use fuses for the size of wire im using and not really the amp?   So 500A fuses on each 1/0 line should be just fine,  but what about the 1/0 runs from the bats in the back to the amp?

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

19 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

Usually 9kw amps have triple inputs, thats 300a per input. Is it only two inputs? I don't think i would ever go higher than 350a per run of 1/0.

If its only two inputs, might want to look into dual input terminals.

Ya its just x2 inputs, planned on running one of those SMD 4 fuse holders and run 4 lines to it with duel inputs.   So im guessing using 4 x 350A fuses on that holder would be good?  Or i might just do 300A fuses to be safe. 

Ya after a bit of research iv learned the fuse ratings are for the wire size and not really the amp?   So i guess a 300A fuse on each 1/0 will be fine then.  I think i made this harder on myself then needed hahahaah. 

22 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

X4 250A

Thanks, mate, that should work perfect, guess these fuse holders will work out perfect then,   But still ill need 3 of them right? One in front, one in back, then one before the amp?  Still thats like 180 dollars just for fuse holders hahahaaha. 

91ysycufUvL._SL1500_.jpg

Just tossed this together,  what do you think lol?  Any way i can reduce the amount of fuses?  The orange lines are the fuses.

oz3i76A.png

If you wanna make things even more frustrating, you shouldnt only fuse for wire size lol. You fuse for the amount of power you'll be drawing across that wire. 

Example being if you use 0awg wire for an amp that will only pull 100-150 amps. You should fuse it at 150, not 300-350. Becuase it might take 400amp or somthing to blow that fuse, by then its not really a safety precaution, equipments probably blown by then.

Maybe you know that already, im just adding to the convo lol. 

22 minutes ago, 06RTCharger said:

If you wanna make things even more frustrating, you shouldnt only fuse for wire size lol. You fuse for the amount of power you'll be drawing across that wire. 

Example being if you use 0awg wire for an amp that will only pull 100-150 amps. You should fuse it at 150, not 300-350. Becuase it might take 400amp or somthing to blow that fuse, by then its not really a safety precaution, equipments probably blown by then.

Maybe you know that already, im just adding to the convo lol. 

Thanks for the information 8), ya so for the last fuse box i should def try to clamp and see what power im doing then use fuses accordingly, but the rest I can fuse for the wire right>?  I drive my self nuts sometimes thinking about this sort of stuff to no end lol. 

Ill be using an Orion 8k that says use 900A, so im guessing this thing can suck the amps down.  4 wires so i should probly use something like 4 250A if im clamping close to 900A if at all.  If for example im clamping 700A, then i should use 4x200A correct? 

1 hour ago, Dragonsyph said:

Thanks, mate, that should work perfect, guess these fuse holders will work out perfect then,   But still ill need 3 of them right? One in front, one in back, then one before the amp?  Still thats like 180 dollars just for fuse holders hahahaaha. 

91ysycufUvL._SL1500_.jpg

Just tossed this together,  what do you think lol?  Any way i can reduce the amount of fuses?  The orange lines are the fuses.

oz3i76A.png

That will work fine, except 4 runs of 1/0 from front to rear is a bit overkill unless you have a dual/triple alt setup or if the runs were stupid long.

I agree with 06RT about fuse size, the only time you want to fuse at the wires rated amperage is when you actually plan to max it out, at all other times you should fuse it to what the amp recommends. 

30 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

That will work fine, except 4 runs of 1/0 from front to rear is a bit overkill unless you have a dual/triple alt setup or if the runs were stupid long.

I agree with 06RT about fuse size, the only time you want to fuse at the wires rated amperage is when you actually plan to max it out, at all other times you should fuse it to what the amp recommends. 

Ok cool, thanks alot for all the help,  Guess i could do 3  1/0 runs and a ground.    370amp alt and Orion 8k with 5d3100s.

Archived