Sundown Audio

Setting the gain on my sundown sae-2000d

8v fury

Have one Sundown Audio SAE-2000d and two Sundown SA-12 Rev.3 Dual 4 ohm subwoofers.  It is wired up to be at 1 ohm.  What is the number I should be using to set the amp gain on the multi meter, I have search online and googled it, but coming up with different voltage numbers to have the amp set up at. 

Pushing it to the limits. Want more power. 

Taken from https://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/car-audio-and-video/car-amplifiers/how-to-adjust-amplifier-gains-using-a-digital-multi-meter/

Voltage = square root of watts x ohms. For example, a 500W RMS amplifier at 2 Ohms would configure like this: 500W RMS X 2 Ohms = 1000W. Now take the square root of 1000W and your voltage should be 31.62V

you should read the entire article if you haven’t already.

hope this helps.

Yes. The point of doing this is to set your amp so that it’s output can’t exceed the rms rating of your subs. Setting your amp gain this way does not account for distortion and you could end up setting your gain too high using this method, so take that into account.

Square root of 2000 is 44.7 so that’s your AC voltage you stop around. 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Use a clipping indicator and set gain during the loudest/harshest music you intend to play. There's just too many variables otherwise to rely on the volt meter method. Different songs all have different volume levels and bass levels due to how they were mixed and how people digitized them etc etc. Just play your music loud, watch the clipping meter, and set gains so the harshest stuff doesn't clip.

One aside to that: I find that certain kick drums and fast beats will clip even if the rest of the song is quiet by comparison. Those "quick clips" are going to be tough to avoid without weakening everything else you play. As long as they aren't sustained and happening very often you should be OK. 

Archived