Extra batteries only help when the car is off... You've got to be joking

I keep running across this statement over snd over again.  Just now I read this joke, I mean article.

https://www.lifewire.com/extra-battery-for-high-end-system-534591

Now unless Ive really got to go back to bcae.com for a refresher course...wait, thats another place that says this exact same thing.  LOL maybe I am wrong.  But seriously, why does this get repeated?  Even multiple HO alts cant supply the current to power 20 or 30kw of amplifiers.  How many 3.5K x 2 or single 5K amp setups do we see everyday on YT, with so many running stock alts and multiple AGMs?  That wont do any good says the article.  Well it wont do your stock alt diodes very good, but it will supply the current your amps are going to draw.

Anyways just a bit of a rant as every time i see this it annoys the hell out of me.

adding a second battery helps a few things even without a stereo.... of the factory electrical  every car I’ve owned that I added a second battery stopped engine stutter when the heater or a/c kicked on did it lessen the life of the factory alt who cares lol

The extra batteries are there to recover your lost voltage faster when your system is running hard. It’s harder to drain 5 batteries then just one . 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Extra batteries help a ton, kind of a buffer between alt and amp.i temporarily took my battery bank out and a medium bass drop will almost shut my truck off it draws so hard.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

It's an extra "tank of gas" for your audio system. I used to think having a HO alt was enough, but found out they're only helpful when not at idle RPM. If you're listening to your system while driving and live in-city, you will be stopping and going and not have your foot on the gas constantly. Extra batteries add extra current supply at all times, but are especially helpful at idle RPM. So yeah that article is a really narrow viewpoint on using extra batteries. You do have some extra work to keep them topped off - use an external charger periodically - but they can be used to increase the capacity of your audio system easier than putting in extra alts.

If you go to major car Audio events, and if you’re paying attention, you will see that most demo vehicles are plugged in to commercial electricity. 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

1 hour ago, White Lightning said:

If you go to major car Audio events, and if you’re paying attention, you will see that most demo vehicles are plugged in to commercial electricity. 

Interesting point. That defeats the purpose of having your system in your car, in my opinion. Guys in the lanes getting metered must be restricted from that though.

14 minutes ago, k58.cross said:

Interesting point. That defeats the purpose of having your system in your car, in my opinion. Guys in the lanes getting metered must be restricted from that though.

No, I’d doesn’t. It let’s you beat on your system all weekend without the vehicle depending on it’s own power. I use my Astron at Every event compete in. 

... And no, rules states you can not use commercial power in the lanes. Mainly for charging before runs and over night if competing Sound Pressure.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Replacement alts cost as much as a battery so it really doesn't matter if you run a single or multiple batteries, but your car will be better off with the extra capacity, especially in colder climates where your running the defroster, heater, stereo and wipers all at the same time.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

2 hours ago, White Lightning said:

Those guys are pussies 

Archived