Sundown Audio

Amp Protect Mode?

CodyDaGoat

Have a CAB 1600.1 amp Ive had for a long time. Have two Sundown SA15s on it at a 1 ohm load. I had a circuit breaker on it that kept flipping while driving after having them on for sometimes 20 minutes and sometimes an hour. Replaced with with a Kicker 200amp ANL fuse and holder. When I first started the car after putting the fuse on, the amp was in protect mode. When I was looking around the amp, it turned back on when I lightly touched the ground wire. I haven't tested it while driving and bumping for a while which I can't until tomorrow, but does this sound like a bad ground maybe? A local audio shop installed it when I first got the subs, and they were the ones who threw the circuit breaker on there but it sounded like a bad ground to me.

19 hours ago, CodyDaGoat said:

When I was looking around the amp, it turned back on when I lightly touched the ground wire. I haven't tested it while driving and bumping for a while which I can't until tomorrow, but does this sound like a bad ground maybe? A local audio shop installed it when I first got the subs, and they were the ones who threw the circuit breaker on there but it sounded like a bad ground to me.

I would agree on its a bad ground and even if it works tomorrow it going to occur again if you don;t fix what caused it.

8 hours ago, will77530 said:

Oh I forgot you can go into thermal protect too my bad

Tried it with the new fuse today before I went to work, it went into protect after about a minute on rough road.

On my way home I was on the highway fro 30 minutes testing it, and it never went into protect.

I will assume at this point it's that ground bad/loose

Archived