Second Skin Audio

Sealed or ported?

aburger

29 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

the only passive radiator i have ever heard was cerwin vega home audio speakers back in the 90's. they were amazing. hoestly i know very little about passive radiator other than adding weight to the passive to adjust tuning. a little about how the driver size can effect "port area" for lack of a better term.  I think its an awesome idea if it is done correctly though.

Ill let you know how it turns out then :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent some time designing a passive radiator enclosure and have built the box but can't afford the drivers yet. I learned from this page:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prd/

Basically what you are doing is using math to figure out a target weight of the pr cones. It takes a bit of work. I posted a question about it here once and remember someone saying you get it as close as you can with math, then tweak it by adding and removing weights from the cones.

9 hours ago, ToNasty said:

I like the beat but the screams are more black metal type. I cant stand black metal.  Couldnt finish the song haha.   Im more of a cannibal corpse and nile typed feller

I can't either. Its basically an instrumental song. Theres like one growl towards the end lol

Thanks again all!!! I think I will give a (2) box test a try, one sealed and one ported. I'll look into the passive radiator box, and maybe do a (3) box test if it doesn't seem too crazy. I'll keep you all updated, it may be a while!

I tore out my current system this past weekend, so once I enlarge the opening from the cab to the bed, and weld in the brackets, I can design the setup to handle (3) different boxes. I'm getting excited!!!

PR boxes are tough for car audio as the drivers tend to have a lot of excursion and take a lot of power. To match that with PR's you will need multiple for each sub. Not saying it can't be done but it will take some work.

40 minutes ago, ckeeler11 said:

PR boxes are tough for car audio as the drivers tend to have a lot of excursion and take a lot of power. To match that with PR's you will need multiple for each sub. Not saying it can't be done but it will take some work.

At tuning do they move very little like in a ported enclosure?

Archived