Sonic Electronix

First off, hello all! 

I have an older install that is driving me crazy and need some help. 

2 10" soundstream 300rms @ 4ohm each

1 soundstream 175w per channel 2 channel amp 

4ga B+

4ga Ground

I recently bought a Rockford fostgate R500X1D amp to add to power as the amp I had was underpowering the current subs. The current amp powers and plays fine running each sub at 4ohms. The problem is when I pull the old amp. When I wire up the new amp  @ 2 ohms will not power on. I thought it was DOA so got another one (same kind). The new one won't power on also. I spent all of last night checking all connections to no avail. B+ gets 12v, Remote gets 12v and ground is good. Swap back out to the old soundstream and it powers up fine. 

Thoughts on what could be the problem? I just don't see me getting 2 DOA pieces from two different companies. 

Update to this. I messed with it this morning and noticed that if I put power from the B+ to the remote the amp comes on. The remote wire will still turn on the old amp no problem.

Should I just run a new wire from a fuse instead of from the remote lead on the HU? Has anyone seen this happen previously?

You should be able to use a relay. Run the remote to pin 86. Ground 85. 30 will connect to your b+ (fuse this with 5 amp fuse) and 87 will be your new high amperage remote.

I have not seen this needed for a single amplifier install before though. Its possible your remote wire has been damaged somewhere. I would run a new one first (from the HU) before adding the relay.

No go. I replaced the remote wire to the remote hookup in my PAC and it won't power on the new amp but will power on the old amp. I ran a wire to the cold side of my front power port 20A  fuse for now but don't like this as a long term solution.

Is there anything else I can do to get the remote side working for the new amp or just SOL?

Maybe take some voltage readings directly from the pac modules remote output.

You could have a bad module with a weak output or a heavy voltage sag through your factory radio harness. 

If voltage is low on the pac module output, try giving it a fresh ground and running the B+ line to a battery, with a fuse of course.

Not sure which module your using but sometimes they also have firmware updates that may or may not fix it.

The PAC is a plug and play for Chevy HU (2012 chevy Cruze). Since the balance of the module is working fine I think I'll just keep it running the remote from the 20A fuse and I'll tear apart the car to hide wires (was trying to avoid this). I think in the long run this will be the cheapest option for me and solve the issue.

Thanks everyone for the assistance on getting this figured out! I'm back to pissing off the neighbors.

I recently had the same issue with a kenwood deck and an audio pipe amp  

I had to go to the car red wire I think (switched) the ignition hot  

I  spent hours trying the different  power  ups off the deck until I  got ticked enough to old school it.   same stupid trigger wire different source 

only way it comes on is when I start the car  I dont know why but all the power outs on the deck are not high enough volts  to turn it on nor is the red wire until I start the car  (2017 chevy Cruze)

sucks but it works,  I thought about a relay  and all that but it works this way and isnt that big of deal  

its my girls car

Sorry cruzelow85 

I cant post at work . I could have answered this sooner ... but old school still works    yellow is constant and red is switched I think  

slight turn off bump but not real noticeable unless you know what it is

5 channel ap  works pretty sweet for her 

since the battery is in the back 4g hot and ground about a foot each

and a kicker 10     for what its worth  $200 and she is very happy 

the deck was a huge  $$ pit face plate /  wiring harness / double din  hu

some scary  cutting to fit the d din kenwood  but the garmin nav is nice  

CRUZE ON!!

Archived