Sundown Audio

Tough decisions on amp

tat2jerry

Ordered 2 Sundown U18s 

orignal plan was an Orion XTR 2500.1

but I don’t think it’ll have enough constant power.  So I’m thinking a Taramps MD 5000.1 but for $100 more I can get the MD 8000.1

but what would the electrical requirements be for the 8000 ?

I know most people like the Korean amps but let’s face it. A Korean amp that’ll do 8000 watts would be over a grand. The Taramps MD 8000.1 is $450 shipped on Amazon sold by Taramps 

2 hours ago, tat2jerry said:

Ordered 2 Sundown U18s 

orignal plan was an Orion XTR 2500.1

but I don’t think it’ll have enough constant power.  So I’m thinking a Taramps MD 5000.1 but for $100 more I can get the MD 8000.1

but what would the electrical requirements be for the 8000 ?

I know most people like the Korean amps but let’s face it. A Korean amp that’ll do 8000 watts would be over a grand. The Taramps MD 8000.1 is $450 shipped on Amazon sold by Taramps 

for 8k at that price, youre probably relegated to brazil for that money. Get a good amp rack so it doesnt shake apart and great electrical otherwise youre giving it a death sentence

2 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

for 8k at that price, youre probably relegated to brazil for that money. Get a good amp rack so it doesnt shake apart and great electrical otherwise youre giving it a death sentence

From everything I’ve seen they do rated + but the older HD series were unstable, just wondering if I’d be better off with the 5k or 8k For those 18s

27 minutes ago, tat2jerry said:

From everything I’ve seen they do rated + but the older HD series were unstable, just wondering if I’d be better off with the 5k or 8k For those 18s

dude, i cant imagine you needing 4k per sub for anything that isnt a nightshade, EMF Ermagerd or a Pride UFO series

16 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

dude, i cant imagine you needing 4k per sub for anything that isnt a nightshade, EMF Ermagerd or a Pride UFO series

Umm... I put 4k to zv5, team Fi 15's, hcca SPL 15's, and that's just my experience. Plenty woofers out there that can take 4k. I ran a U15 on an xtr2500.1dz. single sub setup. Did a 145db with that combo. 

OP...My suggestion if you're limited on funds and want power just get two xtr amps. They're great@1ohm. You'd be loud with two of those. Careful with trying to get the biggest amp for the money. Those XTR amps are Korean with the same internals as other quality boards. They just can't be wired down and you need to put a fan on them. 

47 minutes ago, DiBo said:

Umm... I put 4k to zv5, team Fi 15's, hcca SPL 15's, and that's just my experience. Plenty woofers out there that can take 4k. I ran a U15 on an xtr2500.1dz. single sub setup. Did a 145db with that combo. 

OP...My suggestion if you're limited on funds and want power just get two xtr amps. They're great@1ohm. You'd be loud with two of those. Careful with trying to get the biggest amp for the money. Those XTR amps are Korean with the same internals as other quality boards. They just can't be wired down and you need to put a fan on them. 

It’s kind of a space thing also. I’m having to measure and use every ince wisely for enclosure, amps and batteries. 

But 2 XTR 2500s would be close to power of the Taramps 8k but they’ll take up more room, and cost more, but they are probably more dependable. I’m building all this in a Jeep Cherokee XJ, all in cargo area behind back seat and its not as big as a trail blazer or explorer, so it’s giving me a challenge. Also not trying to put real high end equipment in it because I do take it on trails and in deep mud, as well as drive it on the street. 

13 minutes ago, tat2jerry said:

It’s kind of a space thing also. I’m having to measure and use every ince wisely for enclosure, amps and batteries. 

But 2 XTR 2500s would be close to power of the Taramps 8k but they’ll take up more room, and cost more, but they are probably more dependable. I’m building all this in a Jeep Cherokee XJ, all in cargo area behind back seat and its not as big as a trail blazer or explorer, so it’s giving me a challenge. Also not trying to put real high end equipment in it because I do take it on trails and in deep mud, as well as drive it on the street. 

You'll get more out of two XTR 2500 then you will out of that taramps 8K. My neighbor went from a taramps HD 8K to two xtr amps and I have pics to prove it. He's running a hcca 5k now. 

31 minutes ago, DiBo said:

You'll get more out of two XTR 2500 then you will out of that taramps 8K. My neighbor went from a taramps HD 8K to two xtr amps and I have pics to prove it. He's running a hcca 5k now. 

I’ve told members here before that the xtr 2500 would do 4k and they laughed at me ?

1 hour ago, DiBo said:

"can take" and "actually benefit from" are two totally different things

Archived