Second Skin Audio

Skar subs and deep bass ?

Fish Chris

Hey Joe, yea, I get that. I'm just surprised they don't exaggerate it a little :)

Hey Ron, I've ran every size subs from 7" to 18"s.... but I'm leaning towards 10" for SQL nowadays. I know there is some truth to big subs, for low bass... especially loud, low bass... But then I see vids of guys running little pro series 8" subs, and getting really low too.

Right now, if I could just dump a bunch of $$$, it would be on four strong 10"s, in a custom tuned box, with some really strong power.  

BTW, I'm coming from two 15"s in a custom box, but currently running two 10"s (in kind of a custom box, their's a whole story to that) and they are the best sounding subs I've ever had....and get just as low as my 15"s did, albeit, they dont play low bass, as loud as my 15"s did...

23 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

Hey Joe, yea, I get that. I'm just surprised they don't exaggerate it a little :)

How do you know htey aren't???

Anyway frequency response is at the lower end of important specs to be looking at.

subs don't have to be big to go low, you just need cone area to do it loudly. My two 8s dropped into the 20s quite easily, but the box they were in was designed to go low. 

It's true it wasn't as loud down low as a couple of larger subs, but it wasn't as loud at any frequency. Bigger subs don't play lower generally speaking, you just need less of them to obtain large amounts of cone area. You also don't need smaller subs for SQ, large subs work fine for that too.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Hey JoeX, well I think I might consider the 10"s... Do they have different models ? The higher power ones of course...

Ckeeler, well if they are exaggerating, and they can actually only dig down to 50 or 55hz, that would be "really" bad !

MrSkippy, exactly ! That has been my experience 100%

8 minutes ago, Fish Chris said:

Hey JoeX, well I think I might consider the 10"s... Do they have different models ? The higher power ones of course...

Yes they do:

https://www.skaraudio.com/pages/subwoofers

I would recommend going with exactly what you heard if possible to avoid surprises,  if not let me know which you choose and will run some software to compare with your current sub.

18 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

Ckeeler, well if they are exaggerating, and they can actually only dig down to 50 or 55hz, that would be "really" bad !

Any sub will play down to whatever the box is tuned too. So if you throw these in a box tuned to 25 they will play down there its just a matter of how loudly and cleanly. My guess is they will do fine down to around 35 but wold have to model to see what they look like. 

16 hours ago, thefatkid said:

i been looking at skar 10s today for myself, looking like the vvx v3s will be what i'm thinking of trying out. unless i find an overwhelming amount of negative feedback of course. beginning of thread was scary lol. 

There are basically 2 camps when it comes to Skar. 1) are the guys that think they are great because they are cheap and look similar to Sundown and they think they are of similar quality. While ignoring the owners past dealings and bad CS. 2) is the guys that know Skar uses lower quality parts so the price on par with other subs of the same caliber. Also they remember the dealings of the owner and the poor CS, and don't want to support a company because of it.

My opinion is with all the options out there why would you want to support a company with a bad rep when you could support a company that actually cares about their customers and is straight up about their products. What's more important to you money or ethics?

Archived