Second Skin Audio

new build for my truck?

thefatkid

hi fellas, 

fng here. i have a 2008 ram single cab. i currently am running 4 alpine type r 10s ported downfire. after 6 years of beating ive finally blown one. so time to redo anyway right. 

ive been looking at some different brand subs, skar vvx-10s are catching my eye right now. reason for posting is that ive gotten so many different opinions on everything in the world. some saying to not build a box to the sub specs, some saying to use the DDbox design measurements and not do what he sub is asking for. got other saying this brand vs that is complete trash. (which i expected obviously)

all in all, i was not disappointed in my alpines performance for the time i had them but redoing the whole interior and setup i don't want to do all this work and have less output. 

off of some rough measurements i think i have 8 cubes with 3/4 mdf available. what subs would you consider for 4 10s or 2 12s on a kind of budget setup. i have about 600  bucks for subs max. and i have about 1800 watts available at 1 ohm. 

any help is appreciated. sorry if i violate any rules. 

pics attached are of current setup. 

thanks again, 

Josh 

65173_508650919165700_1457083974_n.jpg

215055_508650915832367_115833254_n.jpg

457122_374144702616323_1371923506_o.jpg

mine.jpg

4 10's will have more cone area than 2x12's, so they have the potential to be louder. Looks like the box is ported? what are the specs of the box (tuning, port area, volume)? Most likely you will want to build a new box matched to the sub specs. 

If you are going for output then I would look at the Sundown E series or maybe Soundqubed  HDS. Could you possibly do 3 12's? Something with decent sound quality and output would be the Dayton HO's or Image Dynamics IDQ.

Try not to turn this into a sub “verses” thread please. Without specifics and modeling, you won’t know what driver will be better for “you” without test, tune, trial, and error ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

2 hours ago, thefatkid said:

i was checking out the sundown e series as well, you think sundown e series over skar vvx ?

I recommend what I think is best. If I did not recommend it I don't think it is best.

4 hours ago, ckeeler11 said:

If you are going for output then I would look at the Sundown E series or maybe Soundqubed  HDS. Could you possibly do 3 12's? Something with decent sound quality and output would be the Dayton HO's or Image Dynamics IDQ.

i can actually do 4 12s ported to their recommendations. 4 10s would save me some seat space but 12s are doable. i have about 8 cubes available before accounting for subs, ports, bracing. 

Archived