Sonic Electronix

gains and other questions please help

I adjusted the gains and by ear I was a little low on what was total out put I could expect so tonight

I  have tried the mm method with a 50 hz tone  and I have set them both at 31v  

jbl gtx 500   they seem to  do rated at 12v and I set them while on a charger at 13 volts

I have some music that I know is "enhanced"  and yeah  I  got an lc1 and know when to use it so lets hope I dont kill anything   I got 4g wire for everything and the intermediate3 (lol big 3 but 4g was lying around)    

I also put an  plug in the pre-fab boxes after tuning   and out put is definitely down  but it doesn't seem to wallow around on 80's music like it was,   doing  so I like it,   it changed the feel to a little higher frequency  

I like the vd--10 by skar but I had a cerwin vega slim 10 and it seems to hit some notes different then the skar but it didnt handle the jbl gtx 500 power as well si I sold it

I changed my cross over to 80 from 63 seems to help carry the  mids and highs better  as I also moved the front to 80 hpf as well skar 6x8 pm 70 w

need to get me some  fiber fill though  I want a little lower tune now 

I also want to sound deaden my doors and the back and the floor  lol

more stuff to consider

So you capped the port on a ported enclosure? that will result in less than stellar results. sealed box needs to be much smaller. You will lose some punch with a to bog a sealed box.

If you aren't using a resistive load, the voltage method would be wildly inaccurate.  Even though you're wired to 2 ohms, your subs could be showing the amp a 10 ohm load.  If you set the gains based on voltage alone with a reactive load, your gain will be set way too high. 

As others have noted, if you aren't measuring the headunit, you could also be clipping the signal before it even gets to the amp. 

just getting my lessons in car audio     I got to learn the old fashioned way,  by doing

I understand the electronics and know nothing is ever completely safe

thanks for the replies and I do love my lc1

on a  side note   I had an lc1 that failed by pinching the wire but replaced the volume knob on my pc sub woofer  with the old  lc1 ,  a little cutting and solder and install,    works like it should again!   WOOTT!!  

Archived