Sundown Audio

Amplifier sound quality ?

fishchris1

Of course we all want as many watts for as few $ as possible, so the amp Dyno tests are great for this. 

But is their any significant difference in SQ between an amp that makes say 1000wts for $200 and an amp that makes 1000wts for $600 ?

Now of course I understand that their can be huge differences in SQ depending on how an amp is used.... Most especially concerning subwoofer enclosures. But I'm talking "all things equal here". Say a guy has a nice, properly set up system, with a high quality, actual 2000wt mono amp, but it finally dies. So he replaces it with a cheapo amp which does still actually produce 2000wts on the dyno. Are we going to notice a small difference in SQ ? A huge difference ? No difference ???

Even if no difference, maybe the higher priced amp might be more durable, additional features, better looking? 

Your thoughts ?

I think you have to look at customer service too. Fosgate has answered all my dumb questions over the years and you can easily reach them by phone if you have to. If you value this level of service maybe its worth the extra money, maybe not. Do you think you could get someone from kung pao amplifier company on the phone?

16 minutes ago, Bret said:

I think you have to look at customer service too. Fosgate has answered all my dumb questions over the years and you can easily reach them by phone if you have to. If you value this level of service maybe its worth the extra money, maybe not. Do you think you could get someone from kung pao amplifier company on the phone?

You would be surprised how many of these companies, especially the smaller off brand types, have a human answer the phone. 

Now the question is:  Can you have a meaningful conversation with them?  That answer is likely no. Mainly because a lot of those type companies don't really do anything but purchase premade stuff from some chinese manufacturer and slap a badge on it. They've never used it, they didn't design it, etc.  A lot of them are more than willing to swap stuff out and want to have good CS, but rarely have any knowledge about their product. 

Archived