Second Skin Audio

New Build need some subwoofer advice

WilliG

That was my original plan was to do a 8" build, 3 maybe 4 but everyone kept asking why would you do that,get 1 12" sub it will out-pound 4 8s..All I would get is punchy bass because 8s wont go low or cant extend like bigger woofers to get that extended lows some tunes have and all that bs nonsense made me self conscious I guess so I moved on..I was going to get hippo 8s,skar vvx or Meso 8s but I decided on 10s

hippo and meso and even DC m3 8s will absolutely smash some lows for what it's worth.  no experience with the skars.

i've seen/heard some nasty builds with 4 8s.  if that's what YOU want, man do it!  fuck everybody else!

if youve got the proper air space for 4 8s, it'll be just under the total cone area of 2 12s, but more than the cone area of 2 10s.  plus more power handling.

the whole reason we're all here man is to do what makes us happy, don't forget that.  you don't have a bad idea, whats the saying?  "Wolves don't lose sleep, over the opinions of sheep"

I totally will have something great,this will be my first real system I had in 10 years,I want to do it right,I have a budget of $1500 that took me a few yrs to save for,girlfriend and kids takes all the money.I found  4 bn meso 8s for 425 shipped a few months ago that I passed on,I kick myself in the ass for everyday for not snagging those. Been out of the game so long I guess is why I let people steer me away from my original plan

24 minutes ago, WilliG said:

I totally will have something great,this will be my first real system I had in 10 years,I want to do it right,I have a budget of $1500 that took me a few yrs to save for,girlfriend and kids takes all the money.I found  4 bn meso 8s for 425 shipped a few months ago that I passed on,I kick myself in the ass for everyday for not snagging those. Been out of the game so long I guess is why I let people steer me away from my original plan

damn!  that wouldve been a good deal!  btw they have the d4 meso 8s on sale for $160 a piece right now, so like $560 for 4, plus they always have coupons out there, the minimum is for 5% off so it'd knock $28 off at least.   however wiring would be fun since you can wire 4 d4 subs to either 0.5 or 2 ohms.

https://www.ctsounds.com/collections/ct-sounds-lost-their-mind/products/meso-8-d4

Thought I’d throw my two cents in. My last build consisted of four Tropo 8’s on a Kicker 1200.1 and it really grew on me. The low end got loud AF, but I thought I could get away with running a sealed box and I regretted it. It was punchy as hell, but because of the sealed box, was missing the low lows. I recently tore everything out and am now designing a ported box for 4 stronger 8’s on more power. In my opinion, I say go for the four 8’s. It’s an awesome setup if done right.

Well after sleeping on it I decided to abandon the 10's and I just ordered 4 meso 8s.Since I elected to go with 4 instead of 3,I am going to run them in 4 separated ported boxes,each of them built the same way because of space the trunk of a Chevy cobalt isn't very spacious,this will just be easier and this way I have wiggle room to move them around a little bit for optimal sound,it will be tight but 1 big box just won't work.without back seat removal and won't do that,I will have to modify the trunk just a smidgen and I will be good to go.As of now these will be powered by a Belva 5000 which will put around 700 rms to each. I probably will upgrade the app after I get the boxes made,everything wired up and see how much I want to spend. Thanks for all the input.

Archived