Small 1.6 liter motor/ 2nd alternator burnt out... Correlation?

A buddy running a wall with 2-18's and an ampere 9k is having trouble with alternators. Power is 125ah of limitless lithium. No AGM's at all. Somethings up. He was running a singer 240 but that took a dump in just 3 mos. He had a local alternator company rebuild it to a 300 amp and it also took a shit. 1 week! Is the problem the motor? Too small to provide proper pulley rpm's? Not engine RPM. He's extremely bummed out. Any help would be appreciated. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should have just sent it back to singer for it to be repaired in the first place. Mike might not honor his lifetime warranty now that he let someone else's grubby fingers in the alt. 

Can't help you with what is killing it though. Sorry.

36 minutes ago, reedal said:

He should have just sent it back to singer for it to be repaired in the first place. Mike might not honor his lifetime warranty now that he let someone else's grubby fingers in the alt. 

Can't help you with what is killing it though. Sorry.

He wanted to play at CES. I don't blame him. He finally got his wall sealed off and was anxious to see what it did. Mike Singer would've taken a while to get the alternator back to him. Sometimes you roll the dice. We are in Vegas after all! Lol

34 minutes ago, bmwking said:

what's his rpm sag down to under load?  if it's pulling down to like 500 or less rpm at idle under heavy bass, it's probable that the alternator is being over stressed to keep up and prematurely frying something.  just spit balling...

Alternator won't even charge at idle. he only plays when he's stepping on the gas. That's crazy in my opinion I'd never have something that was that finicky. 

I would say to much draw is killing the alt. Singer alt lasts 3 months and rebuild last one week. Hmmm i would say there is an issue. Demo's should be done with some rpms and not at idle IMO.

4 hours ago, DiBo said:

Alternator won't even charge at idle. he only plays when he's stepping on the gas. That's crazy in my opinion I'd never have something that was that finicky. 

there is def a problem there if it wont charge at idle.  def with the alt.  obv this is big system so im sure you paid extra attention to grounds and such, but that's the only thing i can think of otherwise, a loose or bad ground somewhere.  beyond that, i'd say try another alt and see if the issue gets resolved

If U still have it put the factory alternator  back on and check your charging voltage that will eliminate a lot . 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

3 hours ago, Ron36 said:

If U still have it put the factory alternator  back on and check your charging voltage that will eliminate a lot . 

Yeah he put the stock joint back on it last night. Probably cracked a tooth also he was so angry. It definitely didn't help having me in his face trying to play the know-it-all... ? Haha

Was it back to working good if so it’s definitely the other ALT but why I don’t know , could be a belt issue or something just getting to hot and burning up the regulator, maybe belt to tight or to loose , is it a direct plug in or is there an aftermarket pigtail on the new ALT. What car a lot of new models have stretch belts and I don’t know if U can get a smaller fit for a smaller pulley.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Archived