Small 1.6 liter motor/ 2nd alternator burnt out... Correlation?

3 hours ago, Ron36 said:

Was it back to working good if so it’s definitely the other ALT but why I don’t know , could be a belt issue or something just getting to hot and burning up the regulator, maybe belt to tight or to loose , is it a direct plug in or is there an aftermarket pigtail on the new ALT. What car a lot of new models have stretch belts and I don’t know if U can get a smaller fit for a smaller pulley.

It's a little 110hp Nissan versa. I think he did a self exciting mod. I'm gonna text him now to see. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much tension could cause it to break prematurely. I have a 91-3/4 inch belt on my 03 tahoe, and that length with my Singer 270 pulley leaves me with about an inch of movement on the belt tensioner.

A singer and 125Ah lithium isnt enough for a 9K.  Alt is working overtime, non stop.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

33 minutes ago, WalledSonic said:

A singer and 125Ah lithium isnt enough for a 9K.  Alt is working overtime, non stop.

He's been running his stock alt since then too lol. He even placed a couple firsts in Fontana last weekend. Dude is clamping around 6500 on stock and 7400 on his built alternators. Hit a 154.8 on a stock 110 amp. I have that alt a month tops. 

What are your alternator temperatures?

You might need to look into some sort of cooling solution for it. The thing's going to be working fairly hard. 240a on 9k is doable if you're not looking for constant play time, but heat will be you enemy here. A cool alternator is a happy alternator

15 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

What are your alternator temperatures?

You might need to look into some sort of cooling solution for it. The thing's going to be working fairly hard. 240a on 9k is doable if you're not looking for constant play time, but heat will be you enemy here. A cool alternator is a happy alternator

I doubt he's put a temperature gun on it. he's getting his belt situation worked out and putting the 240 back on which is now a 300 amp by the way, they fixed it. I'm learning a lot about all of this. Makes me confident my Mechman 270 amp in my Maxima will get the job done with A LOT of lithium. It's nice having buddies with big builds to learn from. I'll let him know we should check running temperature asap. Thank you

1 minute ago, DiBo said:

I doubt he's put a temperature gun on it. he's getting his belt situation worked out and putting the 240 back on which is now a 300 amp by the way, they fixed it. I'm learning a lot about all of this. Makes me confident my Mechman 270 amp in my Maxima will get the job done with A LOT of lithium. It's nice having buddies with big builds to learn from. I'll let him know we should check running temperature asap. Thank you

Thing 1. Cool air. You can run ducting to your alt if needed w/ some forced induction

Thing 2. More air. RPM is your friend. Alternators have an internal fan. The faster they spin the more air it pulls through. Don't keep the thing under load at low RPM. Rev it up to 2500-3k and let 'er breathe

41 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

Thing 1. Cool air. You can run ducting to your alt if needed w/ some forced induction

Thing 2. More air. RPM is your friend. Alternators have an internal fan. The faster they spin the more air it pulls through. Don't keep the thing under load at low RPM. Rev it up to 2500-3k and let 'er breathe

We appreciate the advice man thank you. Good idea with the induction cooling. Shouldn't be hard to Fab something up. 

Archived