Second Skin Audio

Working around impedance rise

k58.cross

4 hours ago, Bret said:

So the resonant frequency of the sub could possibly outweigh the box tuning in terms of output, or am I misunderstanding?

Its not so much the resonant frequency of the sub specifically, its the overall output from the sub vs the output from the box.  

Both the sub and the box have output at different frequencies.  The output from the box is going to be around the tuning frequency and is going to drop off above and below that.  The larger you make the box, the more output around tuning you will get.  So if the box is smaller its very likely the sub will put out more dBs than the box does.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

15 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

I ,.. and or we ( my team mate) have not wired at 1ohm nominal,  for years. Like... 4 years. 

.5 daily,.. for ever. 

I'm feeling like you are right about this. I modeled both a dual 1-ohm and dual 2-ohm version of the same sub (coils in parallel) in WinISD in the same box and here are the impedance plots compared:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ugRC9b0flU3XYkXErNJJanDisvxYiOo/view?usp=sharing

The dual 1-ohm ends up being much closer to a true 1-ohm load for much of the frequency range, even though it's wired to 0.5.

Archived