Second Skin Audio

first time building 6th order, check my idea plox

ncc74656

want to go out of the box and my comfort zone. fi sp4 18, building a 6th order with tuning at 25/60hz.  goals are a smoother response curve than just a vented box and as much output as i can muster.  here is a picture of my idea. vent velocities are sub 30m/s, my current vented box is 27m/s and i dont think i notice any chuffing so i went with sub 30 as my benchmark.

the port areas seem small to me but i think all i need to be concerned with are the velocities of air, right?

my port ratios are high... higher htan i normally build, i can shrink them of course but do we think it matters? or should i change the ports to be more square?

i want to start on this build monday so any input will be welcomed.

DJpbTJe.jpg

nothing, gutted

i have read that i want a 200% larger rear chamber from the front. however in winisd i seem to have hte best response curve wtih about 170% larger. 8.5 to 5.5. im not sure, will i have cancellation issues if im not exactly double volume differential? 

im looking at port resonance now, i want to be over 140hz if im xover at 70 right?

nothing, gutted

im also looking at the port sizes. both chambers seem to want about the same area of port, i was expecting the lower tune to require a much larger port? does this make sense that both ports (high and low tune) would need about the same size for the same air velocity?

nothing, gutted

On 1/24/2019 at 10:57 AM, ncc74656 said:

i have read that i want a 200% larger rear chamber from the front. however in winisd i seem to have hte best response curve wtih about 170% larger. 8.5 to 5.5. im not sure, will i have cancellation issues if im not exactly double volume differential? 

im looking at port resonance now, i want to be over 140hz if im xover at 70 right?

I wouldn't worry about sticking to hard chamber ratios.  If having the rear chamber 170% looks good to go I'd go with it.  

On 1/24/2019 at 12:23 PM, ncc74656 said:

im also looking at the port sizes. both chambers seem to want about the same area of port, i was expecting the lower tune to require a much larger port? does this make sense that both ports (high and low tune) would need about the same size for the same air velocity?

Having both chambers using roughly the same port size isn't uncommon in parallel-tuned boxes.  You should be fine. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived