Plate amp

any of yall know of any plate amps thatll handle a 2 ohm load that isnt stupid expensive? The daytons on PE look great, but only handle 4 ohms at the lowest. I have an old HE2 id love to use in a HT box build, but would like to avoid using a Micro Tech or something of that sort if ya know what im talking about

3 hours ago, youdoofus said:

yeah, its a dual 4 ohm driver. 8 ohms seems like it would be horribly inefficient tho

8 ohm isn't inefficient as you would think.  Depending how much power you want to run instead of a plate amp you might look at the Behringer NX series pro audio amps.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

10 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

8 ohm isn't inefficient as you would think.  Depending how much power you want to run instead of a plate amp you might look at the Behringer NX series pro audio amps.  

dang, i was hoping to avoid the pro audio amps. im terribly familiar with those and just procured a crown micro tech for a buddy not too terribly long ago. Im not against running it at 8 ohms, but it just goes against everything i know about getting power out of an amplifier. 

just as an example, this guy has these specs 156 watts RMS into 8 ohms @ 0.1% THD, 252 watts RMS into 4 ohms @ < 1.0% THD

even dropping to 4 ohms, id be leaving 96 watts on the table by running it at 8. 156 watts isnt anemic by any means, but it just feels wrong leaving so much power off my radar because of impedance mismatching. Id probably be letter off getting a 8 ohm resistor to have the amp see 4 ohms. The parasitic nature of the resistor would easily be offset by the wattage gain, wouldnt it? I could be dead wrong too

1 hour ago, youdoofus said:

dang, i was hoping to avoid the pro audio amps. im terribly familiar with those and just procured a crown micro tech for a buddy not too terribly long ago. Im not against running it at 8 ohms, but it just goes against everything i know about getting power out of an amplifier. 

just as an example, this guy has these specs 156 watts RMS into 8 ohms @ 0.1% THD, 252 watts RMS into 4 ohms @ < 1.0% THD

even dropping to 4 ohms, id be leaving 96 watts on the table by running it at 8. 156 watts isnt anemic by any means, but it just feels wrong leaving so much power off my radar because of impedance mismatching. Id probably be letter off getting a 8 ohm resistor to have the amp see 4 ohms. The parasitic nature of the resistor would easily be offset by the wattage gain, wouldnt it? I could be dead wrong too

I know exactly the plate amp you are looking at, I've had two of those and you don't want it.  I've had both of mine fail.  

As far as adding a resistor to drop the impedance the amp sees, it would certainly do that but it wouldn't result in your sub getting any more power, you would just be putting 126 watts of power into both the sub AND the resistor, which would make it hotter than a two dollar pistol in no time.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

1 hour ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I know exactly the plate amp you are looking at, I've had two of those and you don't want it.  I've had both of mine fail.  

As far as adding a resistor to drop the impedance the amp sees, it would certainly do that but it wouldn't result in your sub getting any more power, you would just be putting 126 watts of power into both the sub AND the resistor, which would make it hotter than a two dollar pistol in no time.  

they failed? seriously? thats lame then :( thank you very much for diggin this deep into this with me. are most plate amps from dayton and the likes like this?

yeah, didnt think about the two dollar pistol aspect of that. also, nice euphemism! i bet many folks havent ever heard that phrase LOL

so, youre thinking a PA amp is the only feasible way for me to put this HE2 into use again in a HT sub situation, right?

I'm running a zapco amp off a astron power supply in my apartment. Its a really small room and I can't crank it, but I made a plexiglass cover for the amp and it really ties the room together. :)  I have a bluetooth receiver on it and the amp takes care of the crossovers. Its a 4 channel unit. I run it wireless off my laptop. Probably not your cup of tea but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

2 hours ago, youdoofus said:

they failed? seriously? thats lame then :( thank you very much for diggin this deep into this with me. are most plate amps from dayton and the likes like this?

yeah, didnt think about the two dollar pistol aspect of that. also, nice euphemism! i bet many folks havent ever heard that phrase LOL

so, youre thinking a PA amp is the only feasible way for me to put this HE2 into use again in a HT sub situation, right?

I don't think a PA amp is the only way to do what you want to do, but it probably is the least expensive.  

As far a plate amps go, I've used a LOT of Dayton products and I've been very happy with ALL of it except those SPA250 plate amps, so that's why I would avoid those.  If you want to use a plate amp I've heard good things about the BASH 300 & 500 watt plate amps, but I've never used them myself.  They are more money though and then  you are in the price range of a Behringer PA amp that puts out a lot more power.  

When it comes to running at 8-ohm vs 2-ohms, I wouldn't stress about it.  Take that SPA250 amp for example, assuming you could run it at 4-ohms for 252 watts vs 8-ohms for 156 watts I bet you could hardly tell the difference between the two, if you could tell a difference at all.  It takes a BIG change in power to make a noticeable change in output.  

Builds:

1 hour ago, Bret said:

I'm running a zapco amp off a astron power supply in my apartment. Its a really small room and I can't crank it, but I made a plexiglass cover for the amp and it really ties the room together. :)  I have a bluetooth receiver on it and the amp takes care of the crossovers. Its a 4 channel unit. I run it wireless off my laptop. Probably not your cup of tea but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

that is a clever arrangement, but yeah, its not what im needing. Im really looking to daisy chain off my current sub and put this conceptual one back in the corner behind the couch for some more oomph. I guess a Micro Tech would probably work, just wanted to avoid the chunky size of it. Im still open for suggestions of an amp that can handle 2 ohms before i settle for a 8 ohm situation. I do have my heart set on using this HE2

Archived