Plate amp

3 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I don't think a PA amp is the only way to do what you want to do, but it probably is the least expensive.  

As far a plate amps go, I've used a LOT of Dayton products and I've been very happy with ALL of it except those SPA250 plate amps, so that's why I would avoid those.  If you want to use a plate amp I've heard good things about the BASH 300 & 500 watt plate amps, but I've never used them myself.  They are more money though and then  you are in the price range of a Behringer PA amp that puts out a lot more power.  

When it comes to running at 8-ohm vs 2-ohms, I wouldn't stress about it.  Take that SPA250 amp for example, assuming you could run it at 4-ohms for 252 watts vs 8-ohms for 156 watts I bet you could hardly tell the difference between the two, if you could tell a difference at all.  It takes a BIG change in power to make a noticeable change in output.  

gotcha. i know a guy who has a Bash 300 he will sell me for cheap(like $30). He says it sometimes makes a motor boat sound at idle and thinks it might be a ground issue

35 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

gotcha. i know a guy who has a Bash 300 he will sell me for cheap(like $30). He says it sometimes makes a motor boat sound at idle and thinks it might be a ground issue

For $30 I'd give it a try.  I agree it sounds like a grounding issue. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 hours ago, youdoofus said:

ill prolly swoop it up from the guy and give it a whirl. any suggestions on the grounding issue? just retouch the solder points maybe?

Just look over the board for anything that doesn't look right.  I'd pay special attention to all the caps, could be a filtering cap has gone bad.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived