Second Skin Audio

4-18" NSV4 powered by Deaf Bonce AAB 19800

davinci701

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2019 at 10:21 AM, Joe X said:

Max dimensions for a box?

Sorry for not getting back to here that build was put on hold due to life stuff but we are about to start was thinking about outsourcing the box build after seeing bobby gately boxes on steves channel they look pretty good but not sure what he'd ask for a box that big plus shipping to North Dakota probably wouldn't be cheap but after looking into buying the tools and materials looking at $1800 to do it myself but not too sure if subs up port back will work too good might have to do port up but not sure how that will sound but thanks for any help

W-49"

D-39"

H-22"

Those dimensions are nowhere near big enough for four 18s... You'll need at minimal 22ft³ and that's shrinking the recommended enclosure size down from 28 cubes. Getting four 18s c pillar would take Houdini himself if Houdini was a master Carpenter lol. No disrespect to your build, subwoofer choice, or hopes. Also using that Brazilian amp I hope you don't have too much rise because you won't clamp anywhere near 15 to 20000 Watts. As far as the enclosure goes, you'd have to wall it and utilize every square inch possible in the rear. You could do three but the enclosure would be so tall it would damn near be a wall anyway. Even four 15 c pillar requires a wall or really tall enclosure. Food for thought

9 hours ago, DiBo said:

Those dimensions are nowhere near big enough for four 18s... You'll need at minimal 22ft³ and that's shrinking the recommended enclosure size down from 28 cubes. Getting four 18s c pillar would take Houdini himself if Houdini was a master Carpenter lol. No disrespect to your build, subwoofer choice, or hopes. Also using that Brazilian amp I hope you don't have too much rise because you won't clamp anywhere near 15 to 20000 Watts. As far as the enclosure goes, you'd have to wall it and utilize every square inch possible in the rear. You could do three but the enclosure would be so tall it would damn near be a wall anyway. Even four 15 c pillar requires a wall or really tall enclosure. Food for thought

I got the idea from the man who's site we are on also I have had had 4 18s before in a box that same exact size but I didn't make it heavy duty just a few 2x4s horizontally and vertically did ok but was definitely not heavy duty enough for  a single BC 5500 I guess maybe I already have my own answer just looking for advice and insight thanks for helping much appreciated 

1 hour ago, davinci701 said:

I got the idea from the man who's site we are on also I have had had 4 18s before in a box that same exact size but I didn't make it heavy duty just a few 2x4s horizontally and vertically did ok but was definitely not heavy duty enough for  a single BC 5500 I guess maybe I already have my own answer just looking for advice and insight thanks for helping much appreciated 

I definitely wasn't trying to piss in your Cheerios. Your sun choice and amp choice is a tad beyond a simple ground pounder build. SMD build was completely different subs and I've always wondered how that box was big enough. Definitely not going to question Steve. I'm familiar with Sundown subs and I actually just did an enclosure for 2 18s in an expedition. That box is 11ft³. 36x50x22h. Double ¾ layer of BRB and it pounds. Your subs utilize a mega roll surround and they have a lot of xmax. That's where enclosure recommended size comes into play. To get the most out of your subs they need excursion. If you put them in a box that's too small you'll choke them out. They don't really play upper frequencies that well. Absolutely smash the lows tho. I build  enclosures and I'm telling you... Huge wall for 4 nsv4 18's. 

3 hours ago, DiBo said:

I definitely wasn't trying to piss in your Cheerios. Your sun choice and amp choice is a tad beyond a simple ground pounder build. SMD build was completely different subs and I've always wondered how that box was big enough. Definitely not going to question Steve. I'm familiar with Sundown subs and I actually just did an enclosure for 2 18s in an expedition. That box is 11ft³. 36x50x22h. Double ¾ layer of BRB and it pounds. Your subs utilize a mega roll surround and they have a lot of xmax. That's where enclosure recommended size comes into play. To get the most out of your subs they need excursion. If you put them in a box that's too small you'll choke them out. They don't really play upper frequencies that well. Absolutely smash the lows tho. I build  enclosures and I'm telling you... Huge wall for 4 nsv4 18's. 

Thanks for the input brother much appreciated 

On 3/4/2019 at 12:37 AM, davinci701 said:

but after looking into buying the tools and materials looking at $1800 to do it myself

To build a box you need minimal tools. Skill saw, jig saw and drill. So a couple hundred at most. If you are real ambitious you could do it all with a jigsaw.

1800 dollars???? Holy shit.  It lined with gold?

1000max with decent equipment from a hardware store like 10” table saw and a 100 drill and all the supply’s.

In the end you will have a nice little start of a shop and can go back to build other things like amp racks and battery boxes and what ever u can think of to customize your ride.

Also if your on the scene with others they like to ask who built your box, you can tell them you did.

Almost 5000 in subs, you don’t wanna skimp on the box.  Those subs call for around 7-8 cubs each.

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

Thank you to everyone with input we really do appreciate it but I do have most of the tools already but I guess I am just have trouble deciding on the sub and port orientation what will actually sound good subs up port back or port up but not to sure if the port will be to close to the liftgate and if that will change the tuning of the box so just looking for advice thanks everyone for helping 

Archived