Second Skin Audio

1st time trying a series tuned 6th

shredder2

Second attempt soon...

N28Ywl.jpg

It's not like the bandwidth or output is bad with the Sa-15, I just happen to have another driver here to play with (RE Sx-18d4) and in my experience bigger just seems to give better results output-wise, I am only playing with 2Kish and at 2 ohm to boot so I'm always looking to maximize the output 1st and great bandwidth would be a bonus for sure.

The 1st attempt turned-out so well I'm gonna try to apply what I learned on the 1st attempt towards something that ought to do well for what it is. Single 18 @ 2 ohm on 2K more or less. 

I'm new at Series 6th's so if anyone sees any issues please fire away. I did increase the port area in the higher tuned chamber (seemed to possibly want a bit more last time) and went with a different rear port ratio and kept the velocities a touch higher but still well under compression.

8"x 8" (64in2) on the lower chamber 21.38" long

28.5" x 6" (171in2) for the higher chamber 9.57" long.

All volumes are A.D. and port lengths corrected where needed.

If anyone sees any glaring concerns or helpful tips or criticism I'd sure appreciate it!

This one should be a keeper if it all works out. Building is fun and all but my garage is getting a little overcrowded, so hopefully this'll be the last 2 sheets I have to buy for awhile.

Just lookin' for more like everyone else... lol... I'm looking for more ultimate output with greater extension than the same driver in 9.07ft3 net at 37hz that I have currently in there on the same power. I'm thinking this ought to do the trick... thoughts?

1 hour ago, k58.cross said:

You used foam seal to make the box cap removable? I like that idea, do you know if it causes any noticeable loss in dB?

I tried to close the gap as much as possible. I used 3 bar clamps at once in an area to pull it tight and minimize the gap before tightening the screws (I used 1 5/8" coarse), then worked my way around the periphery 3-5 screws at a time. Did the center with bar clamps at the edges clamping a 2x4 and a shim across the thing where the baffle was then used #8 2.25" coarse to pull it down... It was a long process, once the thing looked to be 1/16" gap I went around the thing an re-clamped it even tighter then tightened the screws a bit more, including the center and port walls. I ended up with a less than 1/16" gap and it had zero loss seemingly.

I used silicone to adhere to the wood and once dry the tape was easy to apply and stayed where I put it easily.

The thing is out and top off, no issues with doing so and as long as I repeat the process to tighten it I feel it works out well, I did not notice any loss in output. It sure went low well, and beat in the 40-60 range good. 

F5Du91u.jpg

Only reason I'm doing another is the eternal quest for more output and extension if possible.

Archived