Second Skin Audio

Port area is confusing.

Meave Stede

Hey fellow bassheads, I’m new here, literally just joined. I understand the fundamentals of box design, but I’m a little old school. I don’t use fancy apps, or websites to design for me. I’ve heard lots about the proper port sizes and wondered, is there a real math equation that would give me the proper port size every time? I’m 16, have four DC level 1s, and am making a box like Steve did with Bucket o’ Bass. It’s going in an 01’ Silverado. I just want to make it pound me harder than my drunken uncle on a Saturday night. Any pro tips?

Seth Hardin

Box:

54”W * 17”H * 15.5”D

6.825cuft Pre-displacement

5.00cuft Post-displacement (Woofers, port, and bracing)

Port:

15.5”H * 5.25”W * 27.87”L

81sq”

1.31cuft displacement.

Where is this tuned to and is the port area good enough? Threw this together in like 20 min.2104FC9F-482E-458C-83E5-2416573BBE43.jpeg

Seth Hardin

1 hour ago, Meave Stede said:

Box:

54”W * 17”H * 15.5”D

6.825cuft Pre-displacement

5.00cuft Post-displacement (Woofers, port, and bracing)

Port:

15.5”H * 5.25”W * 27.87”L

81sq”

1.31cuft displacement.

Where is this tuned to and is the port area good enough? Threw this together in like 20 min.2104FC9F-482E-458C-83E5-2416573BBE43.jpeg

Had to drop you your first like for this one. Good design and SketchUp also. 

11 hours ago, DiBo said:

Had to drop you your first like for this one. Good design and SketchUp also. 

Thanks man, I really want to make a profession out of this. Is it even possible now-a-day? I’m trying to bring bass back to Memphis. I hear door speakers and the occasional trunk bang.

Seth Hardin

11 hours ago, CrackFactory said:

I use this for port area: 

That box should be tuned right around 34hz. You have plenty of port area. It should rip.

Thanks man, I wasn’t exactly where it was tuned. I’m on a school IPad so google docs doesn’t work. Ill look at it later though, thanks for the feedback!

Seth Hardin

1 hour ago, strangeduck said:

how much space are you going to have between the port opening and the inside side of the truck?

A good 4.5 inches. That plus the extra added at the end of the port. Because of the 45*. It’s been though of, but thanks!

Seth Hardin

Archived