Second Skin Audio

How do you find the proper box volume/ port config with a 6th order?

Meave Stede

There are no easy formulas when it comes to 6th order bandpass boxes.  Simulation software like WinISD, BassBoxPro, & HornResp can be very useful.  

What is it you would like to accomplish with a 6th order bandpass box vs a regular ported box?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Just now, Triticum Agricolam said:

There are no easy formulas when it comes to 6th order bandpass boxes.  Simulation software like WinISD, BassBoxPro, & HornResp can be very useful.  

What is it you would like to accomplish with a 6th order bandpass box vs a regular ported box?

Wow that was quick! Thanks, and to address your question, I have 2 Diamond Audio D6 subs, they beat like crazy on the mid to high 30s, and some of the 40s, but that’s about it. I want a larger bandwidth, I want one side tuned to 40ish hz, and the other one at its Fs (32 i think). They get loud, but I want more SQ. More bandwidth, the better.

Seth Hardin

What triticum said....I've had my 2 18 6th order about 3 years with HOURS and I mean HOURS upon HOURS of testing tuning playing with port size etc... just to get it where it's at now and I'm still doing things here and there....countless front port swaps, rear port swaps....adding rear port extensions etc...when I first fired it up it was loud...demoed good... metered at show...did a 151.6 sealed on the dash.....few weeks of testing and  playing with front port area and swapping to a larger rear port it did a 153.8....a little more port play and tweaking got it to a 155 sealed on the dash....that's without adding power...so there's no one size fits all 6th order...takes work period 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

1 hour ago, kalilac619 said:

What triticum said....I've had my 2 18 6th order about 3 years with HOURS and I mean HOURS upon HOURS of testing tuning playing with port size etc... just to get it where it's at now and I'm still doing things here and there....countless front port swaps, rear port swaps....adding rear port extensions etc...when I first fired it up it was loud...demoed good... metered at show...did a 151.6 sealed on the dash.....few weeks of testing and  playing with front port area and swapping to a larger rear port it did a 153.8....a little more port play and tweaking got it to a 155 sealed on the dash....that's without adding power...so there's no one size fits all 6th order...takes work period 

Thanks man, yeah, I see what you mean. I’m not really looking for the super high numbers though, I’m just trying to expand my bandwidth of frequencies so it will sound a bit better. It’s my moms system in a GMC Yukon. She has had the subs for well over 8 years now, and she bought them used! She has blown many amps on these subs, finally after some time, we just threw 4K watts at them and its doing great. They are 600w rms, but screw what the manufacturers say, am I right? ? Either way, when it comes to the tuning, what do you think would be the best for a wider bandwidth? She doesn’t listen to decaf, rebassed, slowed, chopped and screwed, and (thank god) bass boosted music. She listens to her play list, and the radio, but she beats down the block while doing it! I’m also doing it so it takes up more room. I can make a plate on top of it so no one can see them, and so she can place groceries on top of them. Good luck stealing subs from a 6th order anyway!

Seth Hardin

Archived