Second Skin Audio

Earlier I bought 2 12s DC level3 need help with tunning

South_Tx

This is my second post so please help me out guys...earlier I bought 2 12s dc level3   and now I need help with recommendations on the tunning...I listen to all types of music and like I said on my other post before what I listen to the most is rock/metal to rap from kick drums bass guitar too lows...I was told to tune it to 35hz would 35 be good for what I want? I don't care about being heard from blocks away just want some good clean hard hitting bass 

4 hours ago, ckeeler11 said:

Tuning that high is probably not the best. I have always had to much bomminess when tuning in the mid 30's. I would either tune lower or go sealed.

Sounds like you didnt tune it right... its going to tune higher if you go sealed, its not the tuning, seems like user error. Ive NEVER had a problem like that. Maybe different subwoofers i guess. Idk man, either way, for the level 3s, you can tune anywhere from 30-36 and have GREAT results. I’d personally tune on the FS or slightly above/below, but that’s just me.

Seth Hardin

18 hours ago, Meave Stede said:

Sounds like you didnt tune it right... its going to tune higher if you go sealed, its not the tuning, seems like user error. Ive NEVER had a problem like that. Maybe different subwoofers i guess. Idk man, either way, for the level 3s, you can tune anywhere from 30-36 and have GREAT results. I’d personally tune on the FS or slightly above/below, but that’s just me.

Could very well have been drivers. Also the front stage needs to be solid. But Ported enclosures act like sealed enclosures an octave above tuning. Sealed is where metal shines so if you tune to 30 at 60 hz (right where kick drums reside) it will really shine. I have a pair of IDQ's right now and love them but they are sealed. Will probably make a ported enclosure tuned to 28 or 30 to see what they do. 

I think what alot of people forget or don't think about is that different tracks/albums/even different mp3 encodes will have differences in how the bass/mid/treble was mixed. You're definitely not going to get ALL metal to sound good. Some will sound great because its mix plays well with your system and some will sound flat or thin.

Sounds like U Should have built a sealed box for the bass U want

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

6 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

Sounds like U Should have built a sealed box for the bass U want

Here's a good blurb from: http://trinituner.com/v4/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149047&sid=b544581a835aa8c9732748c768352025

Myth: Ported boxes don’t sound as good as sealed

In most cases this is strictly a result of linear response vs non-linear response and it could go both ways. 4th order systems or “vented” boxes tend to be far more particular to volume, port size and length and the driver TPS’s rather than sealed systems. Misalignments are therefore amplified and greatly affect the frequency response. Often times in car audio, ported boxes are not tuned low enough, or the volume is too large and there is a large peak in the frequency response from literately too much sensitivity or SPL at a very narrow frequency band. The other issue is if the driver does not have enough BL or has too high of a Qts and becomes under damped at resonance. This again leads to drastic peaks at the resonating frequency; however in this case, the driver will be peaky there regardless of content and it will sound ultimately less dynamic and very bottom heavy. However, a well designed vented box may have considerably lower distortion and higher dynamics than a sealed box because of the added SPL gained from the port without increasing the active driver displacement requirements. Sealed systems evoke the most non-linear driver behavior to reach any given SPL, so in fact, they could be the worst sounding system if your SPL demands are considerable. It is important to model a ported design or ask the manufacture for a recommendation. It is also critical to include a high pass filter on the active driver in a ported box for protection.

Archived