Second Skin Audio

Sub unload or?

Ayork

I been woundering if the location i have the ports for the 4th bp could cause unloading or some other issue? It sounds great, but when turning the volume to where i set the gains on the amp to (conservatively), im getting some distortion or some knida odd noise. Attached a sketch of the box.

Gains set useing -5db test tones and headunit was no distortion.

2 12" skar evl, skar rp1200.1

Top chamber is ~3.5cu ; bottom is ~1.8cu

Ports: 2   4"x15.3"

4thorder-bp-5cu.png

Ok, so there are two BIG problems with your ports.  The first is that you are tuned way too low.  For a bandpass box you should be tuned somewhere between 40-50 Hz, you are tuned to around 32 Hz.  The second problem, and this is probably what you are hearing, is you have way, WAY too little port area.  Your two 4" ports have about 25 sq in of port area,  based on the specs of your box and the power you are running you should have more like 60 sq in of port area.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 4:44 PM, Ayork said:

I been woundering if the location i have the ports for the 4th bp could cause unloading or some other issue? It sounds great, but when turning the volume to where i set the gains on the amp to (conservatively), im getting some distortion or some knida odd noise. Attached a sketch of the box.

Gains set useing -5db test tones and headunit was no distortion.

2 12" skar evl, skar rp1200.1

Top chamber is ~3.5cu ; bottom is ~1.8cu

Ports: 2   4"x15.3"

4thorder-bp-5cu.png

Where did the box design come from?

5.3 cubic feet is a LOT for two twelves, and bandpass boxes typically have a large back chamber and a small front chamber. Your box is backwards, with a large front chamber and a small back chamber.

GlLWnfN.png

Here's the predicted response. Basically one-note-wonder.

Q2P3kgr.png

Here's the excursion, with 1200 watts into a 4ohm load. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, i designed it from stuff online about 4th order BP and what would fit the space. Ive aslo retuned it to 40hz.

I tried hornresp and was just confused on how to use it.

I modeled it in bassbox pro before building. I can post the graphs if you wanna see or not.

Archived